The cowboys of the Golan Heights

Help Support CattleToday:

The Israeli nation is almost completely self sufficient. Never thought about them cowboying, but it is the most efficient way to handle cattle in open areas.

Shay and I are what I would call good friends. Shay learned his trade in the Southern States many years ago. He went there specifically to learn about cattle and horses.

We met on the plains one day whie I was directly some Merkavas out of the area and he was bringing cattle in and we have been friends since.

I have stood under that very shelter with the squeeze and worked cattle. There are a couple more large ranches on the Golan besides this one.

I have also sat in the line shack just out of the picture while Shay cooked breakfast and we burned anything we could find to keep warm as it was snowing and cold outside.

Pretty wild country that is not usually seen by the tourists. And there is a lot of wild country there.

Best to all

Bez

snake67":1m4pp194 said:
Shay and I are what I would call good friends.

We met on the plains one day whie I was directly some Merkavas out of the area and he was bringing cattle in and we have been friends since.

I have stood under that very shelter with the squeeze and worked cattle. There are a couple more large ranches on the Golan besides this one.

I have also sat in the line shack just out of the picture while Shay cooked breakfast and we burned anything we could find to keep warm as it was snowing and cold outside.

Pretty wild country that is not usually seen by the tourists.

Best to all

Bez
Makes you wonder just what all is in this old world doesn't it?

Interesting!

So did 'cowboys' originally come over to the USA from Mexico later to become the romantic, rugged metaphor?

alisonb":3sxm1uvv said:
Interesting!

So did 'cowboys' originally come over to the USA from Mexico later to become the romantic, rugged metaphor?

no..............they mostly just came over and stole as many cows and horses as they could get across the river by daylight! :cowboy:

I don't think they stole a lot of sheep and goats though...........they mostly just molested them and left em here! :mrgreen:

3waycross":2epu2o30 said:
alisonb":2epu2o30 said:
Interesting!

no..............they mostly just came over and stole as many cows and horses as they could get across the river by daylight! :cowboy:

I don't think they stole a lot of sheep and goats though...........they mostly just molested them and left em here! :mrgreen:

Those are their last resort lovers. They prefer the burra if available. :shock:

3waycross":6vruw55z said:
alisonb":6vruw55z said:
Interesting!

It is tough to drive sheep across a river in the daylight let alone at night. Horses and cattle will move quicker and at times like that moving fast and covering some distance are very important...... There was at least some honor in being hung as a cattle rustler or horse thieve. But to be hung for stealing sheep...... how would your family live with the shame.

You don't really expect us to admit that the Meskins taught us anything do you? :shock: ;-)

It's not like we stole it from 'em. It was a fair trade.
The Europeans we descended from taught them what a wheel was.

3waycross":2fpai5m1 said:
You don't really expect us to admit that the Meskins taught us anything do you? :shock: ;-)

:lol: :lol: But they did have the wheel a hundred years before the first pilgrim sat down on Plymouth Rock and said "What a trip... I need a drink..oops...we don't drink". :cry2: SA Indians had it almost 2000 years earlier but according to this had little need for the wheel in everyday life.
http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread669997/pg1

TexasBred":2isz7ln9 said:
3waycross":2isz7ln9 said:

:lol: :lol: But they did have the wheel a hundred years before the first pilgrim sat down on Plymouth Rock and said "What a trip... I need a drink..oops...we don't drink". :cry2: SA Indians had it almost 2000 years earlier but according to this had little need for the wheel in everyday life.

They could have always used it to haul off the bodies of all the folks who's hearts they cut out with obsidian knives. Enlightened society that they were! :lol2:

3waycross":uw8vw72j said:
TexasBred":uw8vw72j said:
3waycross":uw8vw72j said:

They could have always used it to haul off the bodies of all the folks who's hearts they cut out with obsidian knives. Enlightened society that they were! :lol2:

They probably used those same knives to cut them into "bite size" pieces for the fiesta. :lol: They also invented the K-bob.

Latest posts