The bucks are in rut this morning.

Help Support CattleToday:

highgrit

Reaction score

I'm sitting by the fireplace looking out the window at all the deer. There's been 6 different bucks a few does and a bunch of turkeys in the back yard all morning. I think the one I have in the picture is a big 6pt. that needs thinning out. Wish I was real hunting but I bought some Beefmaster cows that I have to pick up this morning.

They always know when you dont have a gun, got no time to fool with them or when season is closed dont they? Maybe they will show up again when you can hunt them.

Bigfoot":268te5jt said:
skyhightree1":268te5jt said:
Bigfoot jump on his back and wrestle him to the ground lol .

That one needs 2 more years He's young.

Here either deer would stand no chance because with all the dog hunters here it is virtually impossible to manage your deer. If you dont kill it trust me someone else will and not think twice... If it has some bone on his head alot of clubs will drop 40 dogs on it and run it till it gets killed. We have a bucket rule that if its horns fit in a 5 gallon bucket and you kill it you will get fined. If you havent killed a deer yet its ok that one is fine but if you have killed a deer and you shoot one that fits in the bucket you get the fine.

I try to manage my herd, and none my neighbors allow hunting. It makes my place a little bit of a sancuaury. I let my feeders run year round (except for the spring turkey season). Plenty of rye, and wheat on my place as well in the winter. I have a buck with some funky genetics, that I should have shot before the rut. He has a ball on his left with a spray of points, and a huge curved antler with no points on the right. Other than him, all my bucks are nicely shaped, and either mature, or need to mature. The buck in that pic is 2 1/2 I think, but may be wrong. 3 1/2 tops.

Shaneb, we don't hunt from the house. We have 15-20 deer that come and feed twice a day at the feeders by the house. But if a really big one showed up it might be a different story. I enjoy watching them and seeing how much nerve they have. I have neighbors that hunt and they don't get or see very many deer after the first weekend of deer season. But they walk around and the deer have them figured out, most humans are easy to pattern.

The deer are all over at the house this afternoon, seen 21 from the house. . We all took turns looking at the biggest buck yet to show up at the house. Tried to get my son to shoot him, it would of been his biggest yet but he didn't want to. It's the first buck my wife said it's all right to shoot.

Deepsouth":3hy4wxmm said:
Caustic Burno":3hy4wxmm said:
Seen a doe get bred today by an illegal POS buck.
The buck should have been eliminated from the gene pool.
Our crazy regs make culls illegal.

Wildlife biologist make me scratch my head. I think they could learn a lot about genetics from cattlemen.

Wished I had recorded some of my discussions with ours this year.
You should have seen the look on ours face when I ask what effect do horns have on herd health
and population. He got that cow staring at a new gate look. Then he got mad when I told him all he was is
patsy to line pockets.

I speak out at FWC, questions and answer sessions around the state. I don't like the QDM aspects of deer management, it makes no sense. I'm a trophy hunter, but I believe that a trophy deer is different for each of us. The DNR or FWC should do what's best for the wildlife, not the trophy hunter. I tell them at every meeting I go to that it's their job to manage the deer, not the deer hunter.

highgrit":39yqg4kb said:
I speak out at FWC, questions and answer sessions around the state. I don't like the QDM aspects of deer management, it makes no sense. I'm a trophy hunter, but I believe that a trophy deer is different for each of us. The DNR or FWC should do what's best for the wildlife, not the trophy hunter. I tell them at every meeting I go to that it's their job to manage the deer, not the deer hunter.

I am going to steal that last line for my next go around.
Thats good.

Oldest son was being picky and passed up several decent bucks. But Sunday was the last day of season so he shot the first buck he saw that day. He says it is a 2 point by either Eastern or Western count. A 2x0 buck. There is no horn at all on the left side.

Latest posts