The Ant

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Remember that story of the ants and the grasshopper? I am sure feeling like the ant lately.
Just got a feeling to get everything done and put away.
Went a little crazy on Friday, started hauling hay home, but when we stopped for lunch I started a large batch of pickles. :roll: While the jars were cooling, finished getting the hay home. Ended up with 27 jars of hot pickles.
Did a batch of Bread and Butter pickles today and started my sweet pickles.
Now I know that I must really be nuts. Had to run to the store to get some stuff and they had in the biggest peaches I ever saw, so I bought a case and plan on canning them.
Going to finish out my green beans by canning some of them.
Now I haven't had much time for canning in the last few years and I have no idea as to why I just took off like crazy this year.

Anybody else go "ant" crazy this year too?

I luv herfrds":3qjr24ty said:
Remember that story of the ants and the grasshopper? I am sure feeling like the ant lately.
Just got a feeling to get everything done and put away.
Went a little crazy on Friday, started hauling hay home, but when we stopped for lunch I started a large batch of pickles. :roll: While the jars were cooling, finished getting the hay home. Ended up with 27 jars of hot pickles.
Did a batch of Bread and Butter pickles today and started my sweet pickles.
Now I know that I must really be nuts. Had to run to the store to get some stuff and they had in the biggest peaches I ever saw, so I bought a case and plan on canning them.
Going to finish out my green beans by canning some of them.
Now I haven't had much time for canning in the last few years and I have no idea as to why I just took off like crazy this year.

Anybody else go "ant" crazy this year too?

Been freezing but not canning.

yes freezing and canning. Freezing beans, carrots, and corn. Canning dills, bread and butters, relish, peaches. There was no time to do jams this year. And have this need for more than normal this year. Maybe cause of the price of food. Maybe cause hubby is worried that all this rain every other day is going to go directly to snow every other day PDQ.

sounds like your getting your pantry filled with lots of good eating this winter.it could be a rough winter who knows.ok its fixxed.now ive had my embrassing moment for the day.

bigbull338":4u0hl5yd said:
sounds like your getting your panty filled with lots of good eating this winter.it could be a rough winter who knows.
You might want to fix this one. :lol2: :lol2:

My you gals sure are busy workers..I haven't canned or frozen veggies in 8 years..I always ended up giving most of it away so I thought why bother.
I did make 6 dozen cookies the other day though...does that count :lol2:

ILH and RR I sure hope that this doesn't mean we are in for another h@llacious winter, I don't think I can handle those temps again. :(

I think BB has his mind elsewhere... :tiphat:

RR my hubby has a feeling to get everything put away and done.
Got the peaches done today, son helped me. Only lost one jar in the hot water canner.

HD don't know if we are in for a nasty winter or not. Just getting things done.

Son was asking what else we can put up. Now he wants to do corn, strawberries and as much as he can talk me into doing.

I've been going a little nuts here too. Froze beans. Canned and pickled beets. Made more Chokecherry jelly than we can possibly eat in the next 3 years and the tomatoes are just starting to come in. On the upside, we won't have to buy much for veggies or jam over the winter. Now I'm painting my house (outside).

Let's see here, got 27 quarts of hot dill pickles, 11 quarts peaches, 7 quarts and 12 pints of Bread and Butter pickles, 5 pints green beans and right now got 10 pints of corn in the pressure cooker.
Sweet pickles are not done yet.
Got more peaches to can. Also have some cucumbers that I am going to make into more bread and butter pickles. Got a bunch of green beans to can also.

Been pretty busy.

With the cost of everything I think the grasshopper is already here.
My son has been a big help. Organized my shelves and he did great canning the peaches with me.

Picked up a new pressure cooker today. The programmable one I have I lost the manual for it and I have no idea how it works.

1982vett":137q2ozt said:
bigbull338":137q2ozt said:
sounds like your getting your panty filled with lots of good eating this winter.it could be a rough winter who knows.
You might want to fix this one. :lol2: :lol2:

Glad you quoted that otherwise the big guy would have gotten away with it :lol: It gave me a good laugh.

Knersie go on the "Garden" page and look under the post for Recipes old and new and canning. I posted the recipe for Bread and Butter pickles.
They are pretty good. Like randi said they are a type of sweet pickle that has been sliced thin before canning. They also have onions in them.
Might just get your address and send you a jar so you can try them. :D :nod:

I luv herfrds":3o6bjbro said:
Knersie go on the "Garden" page and look under the post for Recipes old and new and canning. I posted the recipe for Bread and Butter pickles.
They are pretty good. Like randi said they are a type of sweet pickle that has been sliced thin before canning. They also have onions in them.
Might just get your address and send you a jar so you can try them. :D :nod:

That would be great, but I fear customs will have a field day with a jar of pickles :roll:

I'll have a look on the garden page, not a board I usually visit.

Latest posts