That was a flood

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
I am told that we have been on the National news with our flood on Tuesday so some of you might have seen it. It was the highest the water has ever been at my house. There were helicopters flying constantly over head pulling people out. My neighborhood wasn't too hard hit. There was a couple houses which got a little water in them. There is a rumor that a friend down the road lost his cows and I know the water got into his house. But I still can't get that direction to offer any help because the water is still over the road between us. A dairy just up stream lost most of his feed. Tuesday morning we were watching his haleage bales float by. I have a dozen or so hung up on the back of my place.
Up stream from me things are a lot worse. Houses completely gone. I know of at least 5 dairies that lost their entire herds plus an unknown number of small farms that lost their animals. Most of what I know about the damage has been spread by word of mouth. Amazingly the news seems to dwell on the fact that I-5 is closed so you can't travel from Seattle to Portland without a serious detour. Rural people with their life's destroyed versus urban dwellers being inconvenienced.

Been watching the news coverage with interest. I was there in '85 and '86 on some assignments.

I started cleaning up from our flood last May. Still doing odds and ends. Things will never be the same but some things will always be better now.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for folks moving in and building on the flood plains. I would not build even on the upper flood plains. Some folks build on the lower flood plains and they'll get it about every ten years or so.

Farmers losing fencing is just something to be dealt with. The flood plains are very fertile but you have to deal with it if you are on one. Just a matter of taking the good with the bad.

It is never good to see anyone go through tragedy.

Sad to hear of all the destruction up there. Hope things get better soon.

We were sad to see the destruction...just got wet over here the main storm passed to the south of us.
I know how the land lies, I used to live north of Vancouver and then just west of Longview.
DMc

Latest posts