TexasBred, what's your advice on this mineral?

Help Support CattleToday:

For a hi mag mineral it looks pretty good. Often times it seems companies cut corners on hi mag mineral but the vitamin levels, zinc, copper, selenium. Could use a bit more phos. but not absolutely necessary. Should work for you.

Thanks TB. I've fed so many different minerals in the last 5 years I can't count them. Some $40 bag and some were $10 bag. Usually figure that I'm getting what I pay for. I'm trying to learn more about what a cattle mineral "should be". Right now I'm feeding a southern states breeder mineral. Think I'm gonna try some of these next. Maybe they are getting from one what another is lacking. ?

That breeder mineral is probably higher in Phos.

I saw some hi-mag that was 14% mag, but only 10% Cal. 20% salt.
In that case guess you could get away with putting out the hi-mag, and an all-season 7 mineral with it.
Wouldn't need any salt.

Sorry kind of talking to myself. :lol:

I appreciate the input sim king. I've often wondered about putting out different types of minerals at the same time. Is this an acceptable practice? If so, do you mix them together, or offer separately?

JMJ Farms":21xde2wo said:
I appreciate the input sim king. I've often wondered about putting out different types of minerals at the same time. Is this an acceptable practice? If so, do you mix them together, or offer separately?

I've never done it my self, just a balanced mineral usually. The people that do use multi compartment feeders, and keep them separate.

JMJ,
How are your cattle eating the Southern States mineral? That is what we are feeding and their consumption has really went done to the point I am worried they are not getting enough. Thinking of trying Vigortone to see how they do.

tom4018":24olxxwp said:
JMJ,
How are your cattle eating the Southern States mineral? That is what we are feeding and their consumption has really went done to the point I am worried they are not getting enough. Thinking of trying Vigortone to see how they do.

Consumption is low here also. Although I haven't really checked to see how low. Recommended amount is only 2 oz per day. Vigortone makes good minerals. The first label I posted on this thread is a vigortone mineral.

JMJ Farms":1r7knx1s said:
tom4018":1r7knx1s said:
JMJ,

Consumption is low here also. Although I haven't really checked to see how low. Recommended amount is only 2 oz per day. Vigortone makes good minerals. The first label I posted on this thread is a vigortone mineral.
That is strange, my label says 4 oz. per day.

JMJ Farms":3cf19ezg said:
tom4018":3cf19ezg said:
JMJ,

Glad you pointed out the 2 oz recommended consumption. Sometimes we get stuck on the 4 oz and never pay attention to the tag. BTW Vigortone makes very good minerals. They need to upgrade some of their ingredients but probably have the best quality control and research of anyone in the business. Just a big pricey.

Vigortone makes good products IMO but they are a bit pricey I agree. I wonder sometimes how much extra you pay for the "brand name". Kinda like our own food. I know that nabisco vanilla wafers taste better than store brand, but are they one in the same other than taste?

I was brought up feeding cows grass, cheap hay, and maybe a little grain. No minerals. Very little worming. When it became my money invested I started learning about nutrition. Learning how to grow quality grass and hay, learning about vitamin and mineral requirements in different stages of production, non lactating, lactating, and so forth. And I still get real confused at times (probably because of strategic labeling by the feed companies) it's nice to be able to ask folks on here that know way more than me and get an educated answer. I appreciate you TB, and all the others who offer their time to help me on a weekly basis :tiphat:

JMJ Farms":5te37j40 said:
I fed FRM HiMag minerals all winter this year. Didn't know I could get the fly control in them. I liked them.

FRM has always had good feed , I've fed the plain mineral but had not tried the one with fly control. It's about 10$ cheaper than Purina. I'm gonna try it on that bunch I bought. The mill is only 45 min from me so it's easy to find their feed and stuff.

My mother and her husband own a couple of local feed stores. They have been an FRM dealer for at least 25 years. IMO FRM has come a long way as far as quality. I buy a little bit of everything from a bunch of different companies. I like their all stock pellet and their range cubes too. There's a local nutrena dealer that will custom mix minerals to customer specs. If I was smart enough to know what I needed, I'd give that a try.

M-5":mkyzcyvl said:
Yes FRM .
Dash it has plenty of Mag which is good but also has an extremely high level of iron and low level of copper. Iron being an antagonist of copper you could end up with copper deficiencies so watch for that. Vitamins are a bit low. Not much calcium which is a cost cutter so it probably wasn't real cheap either.

While we're on the FRM train... How about this for a free choice mineral for bred cows? It's about $20 a bag, and I'm a little lost in the mineral department.

Also, is it wise to have my grass tested? We fertilize our pasture, so it should have some good properties to build on.

Latest posts