Texas replacement sales

Help Support CattleToday:

f1tiger

Reaction score
Anyone going to Beaumont SETICA sale this weekend , 100 bulls and 400 females, next weekend ABBA in Caldwell, creme of the crop on Brahman and F1 females , never been, it is a sight to behold when they start selling the Brammers, like sharks in a feeding frenzy, but when you walk away you have purchased some of the best . It is a bucket list sale for sure lol

If there is such a high demand for brimmer replacement females, why don't more producers develop them?
Is there some extra costs or expertise involved?

f1tiger said:
Anyone going to Beaumont SETICA sale this weekend , 100 bulls and 400 females, next weekend ABBA in Caldwell, creme of the crop on Brahman and F1 females , never been, it is a sight to behold when they start selling the Brammers, like sharks in a feeding frenzy, but when you walk away you have purchased some of the best . It is a bucket list sale for sure lol

https://m.facebook.com/events/407831796629933

Not sure if I'll be able to make it.

Stocker Steve said:
If there is such a high demand for brimmer replacement females, why don't more producers develop them?
Is there some extra costs or expertise involved?

I do think the popularity is on the rise. IMO capital to get in, handling them, and I think people dont part with them when they do raise all factor in. Also, you dont really have to put them is sales... you can usually sell them off your front porch if you want yo.

One problem I see with raising Brahmas to sell as replacements is the hit you take on the bull calves. It's amazing to me what people will pay for quality Brahma heifers though.

Lucky said:
One problem I see with raising Brahmas to sell as replacements is the hit you take on the bull calves. It's amazing to me what people will pay for quality Brahma heifers though.

Our straight grey brahman bulls still bring 1.2-1.3 on #650+ bulls going thru the auction barn. When you factor that with the high price of heifers your avg is pretty good.

Brute 23 said:
Lucky said:

Our straight grey brahman bulls still bring 1.2-1.3 on #650+ bulls going thru the auction barn. When you factor that with the high price of heifers your avg is pretty good.

I had a man try to talk me into getting some Brahmas for the same reason you say. He said same thing on the steer/bull calves. I haven't seen them bring that but honestly haven't paid that much attention. I would like to have around 20 head one day.

I worry about the breed back rate on them too. I would guess it's slower than angus cross but maybe not.

I personally wouldn't want to own all pure bred brahmans on a large scale. I like having a small herd to produce the crosses for the larger terminal herd. The F1s and 3/4 bloods do really well down here and raise some big calves. Theu can be a pleasure to handle if you raise them right from the get go.

Latest posts