Texas Members

Help Support CattleToday:

Over the years I've found my name on that list several times. In fact, it's out there now but the amount isn't hardly worth it. Any of you know how that money gets there in the first place? I have been told that refunds like from utility companies and insurance companies put it there. My real question is why don't they just and it to me directly? The last time I had any significant amount it was from an insurance company and I called them and asked why they didn't just send me the money. I was told they didn't know where to send it. We hadn't moved, changed insurance companies or policies. Go figure.

Lava, it's for the same reason a phone company like Verizon will offer a $50 rebate on a new phone, but instead of just giving you $50 off at the store, or even allowing you to apply for it at the store, you have to send in a form and boxtop and proof of purchase and receipt of payment no sooner than 10 days after purchase and no later than 30 days after purchase. In many cases it's forgotten about until too late and millions never get claimed and the company gets to keep the money. If by some miracle you actually send in all the specified information and boxtops in the tiny window of eligibility, they don't just send a check. No, to add another layer of difficulty, instead of a check, they send you a pre-paid credit card with $50 credit on it. That way, you can lose the credit card before you use it.

I have entered family names friends names and neighbors. Two people that I know have over $4500 there. I think for no more than it takes to file I would go for any amount that is there for me. The state can use the interest of of the accounts but cannot spend any of the funds. Also there are auctions for the contents of safe deposit boxes that have been opened when no one as been active on the boxes.

ga.prime":18ralqx4 said:
Lava, it's for the same reason a phone company like Verizon will offer a $50 rebate on a new phone, but instead of just giving you $50 off at the store, or even allowing you to apply for it at the store, you have to send in a form and boxtop and proof of purchase and receipt of payment no sooner than 10 days after purchase and no later than 30 days after purchase. In many cases it's forgotten about until too late and millions never get claimed and the company gets to keep the money. If by some miracle you actually send in all the specified information and boxtops in the tiny window of eligibility, they don't just send a check. No, to add another layer of difficulty, instead of a check, they send you a pre-paid credit card with $50 credit on it. That way, you can lose the credit card before you use it.

I think you nailed it GA. I looked again yesterday and the amount is $25 from the utility company. Same name, same address for 45 years, same utility company, same everything. So you would think the company would have someone working there that could read the address and put the refund check in the mail. I'm going to file for the refund but have to do it by snail mail. Sure, they put a form on the inter web but it is a .PDF and you can't do anything with it except to print.

I was reading this thread and though I'd check out Kansas. Found my brother has $5.86 due him from a Kansas City & Light underpayment/deposit in 1/1/1979. I suggested he leave it there, then he'll never be broke!!!