Texas folks

Help Support CattleToday:

nathan arizona

Reaction score
This board is crowded with folks from Texas, so thought I'd ask a question. Tomorrow I'm taking my two sons - ages 23 and 9 to Texas on a guys trip. I just searched around for cheap flights and Dallas wound up being the place. My oldest wants to wind up in San Antonio for a day or so to do the Riverwalk and the Alamo. But besides that we're open. Anything you'd be sure to do if you were travelling between Dallas and San Antonio? Thanks in advance!

Waco has the Texas Rangers Hall of Fame and Museum. You'll pass thru on the way to San Antone. San Marcus has some neat water pools. Good eats. There are some unique things all the way down thru there. Don't know what interests the boys may have. There's a "top ten in Texas" out there on the internet somewhere.

Except Austin. I wouldn't pause in Austin any. Fill up the tank before you get close to there and buzz on by.

Also there is a mastodon exhibit in Waco they are still in the place they were found and they excavated to see the bones that they surmised were killed in a flood and washed up in a pile. There is a building constructed over the sight for viewing. Also there is a consortium of bridges of different designs across the Brazos river that I found interesting. Also the DR. Pepper Museum is located there.

sierra-del-carmen-sunset.jpg

It sure ain't on the way, but I regret not going to Big Bend.

Chisos-Mountains-in-big-Bend-National-Park.jpg

texas_20120312__MG_0459_60_61_tonemapped-Edit_lg.jpg

I'd hire me a guide and three horses and spend some saddle time under the stars with the boys... I hear cell reception sucks out there.

nathan arizona":bcadgqkt said:
Do I dare even ask about the best place to eat BBQ near Waco?

You are simply going to be too far from the house for me to fix you up.

nathan arizona":198qfg13 said:
Do I dare even ask about the best place to eat BBQ near Waco?
There ain't any good barbq in Waco...you need to get closer to a Austin , Lockhart, Elgin for that. If you can't wait try Fushaks near Temple. From San Antonio I'd go to Bandera and eat at OST ( old stage trail?) cafe. If you have time just wander back toward Dallas from there on hwy 16. It's called the Sportsman hwy. it's a pretty road.

San Anton ( you ain't supposed to say the io)
Is the best big city in Texas. Dallas sucks , we've disowned Houston, and nobody in Austin knows which restroom to use.
Taters right own on the bbq except Clem mickeska is fine.
.for out of the city , right now I highly recommend Colorado bend state park.
If you pass that Belton to lampasas area in the evening. I'll be close , probably on the Leon ,lampasas or San Gabriel. The creeks are up the big catfish are on the move . And I know where all fencemans good holes are.
Your welcome to stop by.

254_226_2624

You may have to stay a year to see everything that has been suggested. Also in Austin you can hear some good music.

San Antone is by far the coolest big city in Texas I try like hejj not to ever have to go into the other ones. But I also live in a one light town and don't get out much. You can do all kinds of cool stuff in San Antone just walking up and down the river walk and reading all of the historic stuff is fun for me.

If you're driving to/from San Antonio, I'd swing over to the west and take 281 (at least one way). It's a much more scenic and pleasant drive than I-35. I'm sure it takes a little longer, but well worth it, imho. I'll readily admit I dislike I-35 everywhere I've driven it, but especially anywhere south of OKC.

As far as bbq, I'm a big fan of Hard 8's. I'm sure there are others that are as good, but It's darn good. I believe the original's in Stephenville, but there are other locations now, including a couple in the DFW area.

Thanks for all the advice on here. Having a real good time. 'Course when I asked the 9 year old what he liked best so far, it was the hotel pool.

Latest posts