Texas Deer

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Here in Montague county there is so much green vegetation and acorns ya cain't drag a deer out of the woods.
Have corn feeders going and 5 acres of wheat about 4in and the deer are just not interested. Been a week now and so far seen a young 8pt, young 6pt, and a little spike buck. Not one doe, but the woods are full of tracks. Also been too hot.
How about in ya'll neck o the woods?

Cal

Nebraska deer:
SUCK!

its also green here, but theres a ton of corn left so they are out and about.

ruts started but not in full swing.

opening day today, not much luck. shot at a HUGE one (6X7) and i cant find him :x. nothing more frustrating. go look again tomarrow. found hide and hair but no blood. then saw another standing broadside but the dumb doe took off like .3 seconds before i shot and of corse he took off after her.

tomarrows a new day.

Yeah I'm huntin in central texas and I'm in the same boat. The food is so widespread its hard to figure out where they'll be at.

We ain't allowed to bait deer in any stretch of the imagination. :x
They got to appear on their own. :help: :help:

mnmtranching":2xjvmxs0 said:

Never understood hanging a feeder out sitting in a high rise stand and calling it hunting.

Caustic Burno":2q6xvs7j said:
mnmtranching":2q6xvs7j said:

Never understood hanging a feeder out sitting in a high rise stand and calling it hunting.

No different than hunting over a greenfield or in the days of old a hunter sitting next to a persimmon tree waiting for the deer to come and eat.

Hunting deer has always been about either chasing them towards a hunter or waiting at their food source.

What's sporting about chasing a bunch of deer with dogs towards a line of people with buckshot?

Heck, once that baby's mounted on your wall you can make up any story you want to impress your friends.

Know a guy who came home from a trip to Colorado with a nice bull elk a coulple of years ago. Claims he tracked it for four days through tough Rocky Mt. terrain. Bull. This guy is about 300 lbs. and smokes 3 packs a day. He couldn't walk 100 yards on flat foam rubber without dropping dead. :lol: I don't know how he got it and I don't really care, but I sure don't believe his story. Sure looks impressive mounted on his wall, though, and that's the bottom line with a lot of people.

MikeC":1rp8h3y2 said:
Caustic Burno":1rp8h3y2 said:
mnmtranching":1rp8h3y2 said:

No different than hunting over a greenfield or in the days of old a hunter sitting next to a persimmon tree waiting for the deer to come and eat.

Hunting deer has always been about either chasing them towards a hunter or waiting at their food source.

What's sporting about chasing a bunch of deer with dogs towards a line of people with buckshot?

Lot of difference persimmon tree doesn't throw at daylight and dark. Heck of a lot more sport to shoot a running deer than one that has came to the dinner bell that goes off everyday at the same time. Some people can hunt and some can't. Shooting deer at long range out of a heated high rise deer stand that you have been feeding up for months is no different than shooting a cow at the trough off the front porch.
Baiting deer is no different than baiting birds both should be illegal.

Well fact of mater is CB(or whom ya may be)I was hunting deer probably when you was still sh###### yellow in a diaper.
The way I look at it meat is meat and a kill is a kill no mater how ya get it done. I grew up in Missouri where ya couldn't bait out for deer and still didn't do without deer meat.Now Ive just got to stoved up to do the walking and hunting and I still like deermeat. Your opinion is your's and I have mine.

Cal

Try hunting deer without hounds in the Dismal Swamp. Each area has things that are traditional for that area. I may not like them or wish to participate using them, but that doesn;t make them wrong.

Lots of deer moving here but they still aren't in full rut. I'm hunting in the woods right now and am seeing at least six does a visit. Most I saw in three hours was 23 but nothing worth shooting at. Put a friend in a stand last week and he saw five bucks traveling together but nothing worth putting on the wall. I expect them to hit full rut in the next week or so. I'm after a good sized one and maybe I'll get a shot at him. If I get him, I will have definitely worked for him.

I'am like you Jo,right now i'm being picky about a buck. got ten pointera in the last 2 seasons and now looking for a 12. Seen one twice last season but both time through the windshield of my truck. But plenty time left yet.

Cal

Jogeephus":3qlvzsrm said:
Lots of deer moving here but they still aren't in full rut. I'm hunting in the woods right now and am seeing at least six does a visit. Most I saw in three hours was 23 but nothing worth shooting at. Put a friend in a stand last week and he saw five bucks traveling together but nothing worth putting on the wall. I expect them to hit full rut in the next week or so. I'm after a good sized one and maybe I'll get a shot at him. If I get him, I will have definitely worked for him.

Even though I saw a doe being bred the other day I don;t think the rut has kicked in here yet either. Wife got a nice buck this morning (nice for this area) and he didn;t stink at all and no neck swelling.

I think Cal was wanting to hear some hunting reports, not a bunch of ol' geezers whining & bellyaching.

Seasons been open here for 2 weeks. I've seen alot of deer grazing on rye grass. Only seen 2 deer under a corn feeder. We've got TONS of acorns this year.
We've killed 4 deer off of one certain stand. My daughter got an 8 point, then my son got him a doe, I killed a 8 point with 5 kickers, and yesterday evening my nephew got a 6 point. Its been a good season so far, but our temps just jumped up to the 80's. I'd rather be in a boat instead of a deerstand with these temps.

My nephew with his 6 point. It would have been a good deer next year, but this was his first buck.

6lwto1x.jpg

Jogeephus":35gbyx10 said:

Ours won't come in rut until January. Strange......

Calman":d3qprba7 said:
I'am like you Jo,right now i'm being picky about a buck. got ten pointera in the last 2 seasons and now looking for a 12. Seen one twice last season but both time through the windshield of my truck. But plenty time left yet.

Cal

I am the opposite. I pick the young ones, that I want to eat.

The buck we call Bullwinkle must have met his doom by some of those city hunters. He hasn't been around for two years now. Probably hanging in someone's office.

backhoeboogie":2b371esb said:
Calman":2b371esb said:

Cal

I am the opposite. I pick the young ones, that I want to eat.

The buck we call Bullwinkle must have met his doom by some of those city hunters. He hasn't been around for two years now. Probably hanging in someone's office.

My two bucks have been in the freezer over a week.
City hunters haven't hardly fired a shot since the beginning of season.

For most of MN the deer season ended Sun 11/11.

Could still go into the national Forest and kill a antler less.

With 4 good size bucks in the freezer :help: time to call it a year.

Been a good year for me and my adventures :D :D

Like the Boss Lady sez "time to settle down to Winter". :stop:

I've seen the bucks running the does but not much activity. Still too hot, heck I was sweating in the stand. I did get a 4-pointer with the mustang Friday morning :(

Caustic Burno":1mx9m24q said:
My two bucks have been in the freezer over a week.
City hunters haven't hardly fired a shot since the beginning of season.

Caustic I haven't even got the gun out yet. Didn't even go with the bow either. Still cleaning up the river bottom from all the flooding. I'll get out and hunt soon. 18 month old buck is the bucks I like. If you picked up some of those, I'm envious.