Test for minerals deficieney

Help Support CattleToday:

Steve Banks

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a lab test for this, say a hair sample??
I would like to know besides a guess, if the minerals I'm feeding is doing the job!! I understand that it varies from region to region. ( soil type).

Angus/Brangus":68y031ji said:
Call your Vet and ask. I can't recall the test but our vet let us know about a Phosphorous deficiency in one of our cows which led to having minerals out year round.
i always keep minerals out year round regardless, and start out high mag in february

ALACOWMAN":3c6lrw66 said:
Angus/Brangus":3c6lrw66 said:
Call your Vet and ask. I can't recall the test but our vet let us know about a Phosphorous deficiency in one of our cows which led to having minerals out year round.
i always keep minerals out year round regardless, and start out high mag in february

I too keep minerals out year round (Vita Ferm) but I seem to have more limping/foot problems than I expect.

The best way is to get together with your vet, get the cattle in and take random blood samples. Run them through however you want, but I think you would want to test about 25% of the amount of head you have. Try not to use ones that have been doctored, or if you do, only use a couple of them.

Steve Banks":3cp3zsxk said:
ALACOWMAN":3cp3zsxk said:
Angus/Brangus":3cp3zsxk said:

I too keep minerals out year round (Vita Ferm) but I seem to have more limping/foot problems than I expect.
might add some organic iodine to the minerals or some auromiacin

I bleed an open at preg check or this year I had 100% so I tested a few late calvers. To check Cu you have to do a liver punch.

MoGal":394u8rit said:
http://www.bovineengineering.com/NL_minerals.html

Scroll down to the bottom of that link and the blood test you draw needs to check for these deficiencies. I thought that it was an interesting read.
Good information.

Get a copy of a book by Pat Coleby, Natural Cattle care. Very interesting reading. And it works.