Terri Schindler-Schiavo

Help Support CattleToday:

Victoria

Reaction score
For anyone who has heard the media story please check out this website and read more about this :
http://www.terrisfight.net

There is a petition that can be signed to try to stop them from starving Terri to death.

(A small excerpt from the site: "Terri's behavior does not meet the medical or statutory definition of persistent vegetative state. Terri responds to stimuli, tries to communicate verbally, follows limited commands, laughs or cries in interaction with loved ones, physically distances herself from irritating or painful stimulation and watches loved ones as they move around her. None of these behaviors are simple reflexes and are, instead, voluntary and cognitive. Though Terri has limitations, she does interact purposefully with her environment.")

This whole story is horrifying - if they kill Terri who is next??? :shock:

I'm sorry but I agree with her husband on this. I do believe most people would not want to live in this condition. What appears to be interaction to family members is nothing more than reflexes being made unconsciously on her part and wishful hoping on her parents part. I do sympathize with their delima and wouldn't ever want to be in that position. The scary part in this situation is the government overstepping their bounds and getting involved in a matter between two private parties.

Well said JGN The gov. has too much say with us anyway.Glad you were the first to respond on this one. I respect both sides of this story. But I do side with the Husband. Simply because IF it was me lying there I would hope my Wife would have the plug pulled.

It's my belief that the government should not have control of anyone's life.It's already bad enough with the the Doctors,Lawyers,Politicians Bankers,Michael Jackson and over lenient Judges we have in this country, not to mention the insurance companies, pharmaceutical companies and the rest of the cronies running this great Country of ours into a nose diving crash.Not to mention a lot more as I don't want to start a major uproar. Just my 2 cents worth.

D.R. Cattle":23a8i81p said:
I wouldn't let one of my cows starve to death, much less another human being.
It is quite interesting in the down cow threads, we call people "hero's" and brag on their fortitude. Heaping the greatest praise on them for sticking it out. In the Human case of Terry Schivo we say the humane thing to do is kill them. Anyone else notice how we as people call evil good, and good evil?

ollie":2k3bjbop said:
It is quite interesting in the down cow threads, we call people "hero's" and brag on their fortitude. Heaping the greatest praise on them for sticking it out. In the Human case of Terry Schivo we say the humane thing to do is kill them. Anyone else notice how we as people call evil good, and good evil?

But when it's hopeless most still recommend a bullet

dun

dun":3rjo7ree said:
ollie":3rjo7ree said:

dun
I recomend bullets on cows because they are animals. I also abort them, sell their kids and eat them. For humans I think we have a different set of rules.

ollie":1tj8gd0c said:
dun":1tj8gd0c said:
ollie":1tj8gd0c said:

dun
I recomend bullets on cows because they are animals. I also abort them, sell their kids and eat them. For humans I think we have a different set of rules.

After having watched my father in a near vegetive state for 6 months, I was glad when the family finally decided to discountinue heroics and allow him to die. The ugly part is my memorys of him aren;t of the vibrant living man, but the near vegetable in hospital bed with more tubes coming out of him then a space shuttle launch.

dun

Were you still part of the immediate family when the decision was made? They are plenty of immediate family members willing to care for Mrs. Schaivo . It seems only her husband wants to see her dead. I am currently dealing with this with a grandmother of mine . I am speaking from experience as well Dun. I think it is barbaric to remove a feeding tube on a woman who has had one for years when her parents don't want it removed. There is no argument to be made on your part to the contrary. Her husband has no emotional attachment to her what so ever. I can't imagine the torture her parents feel.

2 Very valid arguments. I personally lean towards LIFE in the Schaivo case. The Heavenly Father giveth or taketh away not us. But I also know I'd rather be up there hanging out in heaven's cow pasture than down here with a bunch of tubes in my face, crapping in my britches. Starvation is not really the way to go though.

ollie":rvn19b58 said:
D.R. Cattle":rvn19b58 said:
I wouldn't let one of my cows starve to death, much less another human being.

yep...

Funny how the humane thing to do doesn't seem to be the human thing to do. I would never let an animal suffer the way they let some people suffer. There was a fella up here in Saskatchewan who's daughter had severe cerebral palsy. She had been through countless operations and her life was constant pain. He put her in the cab of his truck and ran a pipe from the exhaust and just let her go to sleep. He went to jail for it. I would hope that if it was my child or my wife, I would be brave enough to let them go and I would do the jail time. The thing is I guess, if you have faith, you know that the next world will be better than this one so why would you let someone suffer when they could be in Heaven enjoying themselves.

Concerning "giveth and taken away". The doctors have been doing the giveth, if they remove the tube they're turning the taketh away to other hands.

I was part of the decision, I had voted for removal. My mother was the only one that voted to keep it in. I lay that to selfishness on her part and not thnking of the positive side. The woman is no more then a body anymore being kept alive(?) by artificial means. If she's meant to not die, she'll recover. Pretty simple arithmetic to me.

dun

Wow. I am out of this thread. You guys can go at it all you want.

I don't know enough about this case to pass judgement. I do think life is a valuable and precious thing. But when the 'jig is up' I agree with cattle rack. What is so bad about being dead-that is if you are ready for it-and you have had your whole life to get ready.

I can think of a couple of people who had really bad hearts. When that time came, they were somewhat uncomfortable, but refused to go to the hospital. I certainly understand their decision.

dun":3awdj0if said:
If she's meant to not die, she'll recover. Pretty simple arithmetic to me.

dun

Pretty hard to recover with no food or water, I would expect.
Better check your arithmetic again Dun.

I know I wouldn't want to be in the situation this family is in but I disagree with letting the woman starve to death. There has got to be on some level, living going on in although she can't communicate and unnecessary pain i.e. starvation, should not be allowed. I agree whole heartedly with the statement about how we wouldn't let a cow starve to death, we would do what ever we could and if all efforts do not work then we put them out of their misery. We don't just let tnem lie there and starve to death. I believe in life after death, and I know that I will be going to heaven when my time comes. What I wonder is if may years ago was her time, and through modern medicine intervention was made and her body was revived but her soul was already gone?

It's a very tough case with many issues involved. In this particular case I would side with the family because they seem sincere and husband seems like a lowlife. Having said that, I would also side with the family if they were on his side. Even though I agree with the family I don't like the feds getting involved in state business. I don't even like the state getting involved in family business but in this case both were bound to happen because everybody has hired lawyers.

It's interesting how the folks who oppose the death penalty under any circumstances are generally the same folks who favor her death - and abortion.

I guess one of the big lessons from all this is to make your desires known in advance in a formal written directive or living will. I have made it clear that if I'm incapacitated I want to be allowed to die. But there's something about her case that's very creepy. I'm in favor of letter her family have her. It's a hard situation.

Craig-TX

Latest posts