Tehema Tahoe

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this bull? I don't know the herd well either. Any input on them would be most helpful. PM me if you need to!

Select sires guy talked my dad into using him last spring. I wasn't a fan of his picture or the calves they had pictured in the catalog, but they were supposedly some of the best calves the select sires guys saw last fall on their tour. We have around 20 confirmed to him so I guess we will have a pretty good sample this coming spring.

I wasn't a fan of his picture or the calves they had pictured in the catalog
Nor I...and especially his son pictured on Tehama's herd sire page. :frowns:
they were supposedly some of the best calves the select sires guys saw last fall on their tour.
All things considered, a chilling commentary but not surprising coming from semen pimps. :roll:
Will be interesting to hear your observations regarding your forthcoming spring calves.

Edited to add...although thoroughly researched, none of the bulls I acquired from Tehama met my expectations & for a variety of reasons were culled in short order.

so many of their herd bulls just look so broken down structurally. Maybe it doesn't matter, but they have such an ugly swayback look.

What were you reason (in general) for the culling?
FWIW...I greatly admired the family & Bill's groundbreaking pioneer dedication to performance testing. Icing on the cake they were located 100 miles from me. 1st bull was a Bando 155 son who turned out to have a deviated penis which I didn't discover until having sold a group of really nice open young cows after his 1st season. 2nd bull was an EXT son. Disposition wasn't an issue but he became crippled in my environment by the second season and not due to fighting other bulls. 3rd bull was the one I referenced previously. In spite of the late SS's Roy Wallace's insistence otherwise, he left a legacy of poor uddered coke bottle teated females. It should be duly noted that the female families had an impressive history and the bulls themselves were sale toppers. It was an expensive lesson.

so many of their herd bulls just look so broken down structurally. Maybe it doesn't matter, but they have such an ugly swayback look.
Unfortunately that phenotype applies to a goodly number of Angus herd bulls and especially those in AI studs. Correct structure/conformation and pronounced masculinity appears to be in short supply. IMO the push for "more is better" & especially carcass is at the root of the problem.

hornedfrogbbq said:
Does anyone have experience or thoughts on this bull? I don't know the herd well either. Any input on them would be most helpful. PM me if you need to!

We used a 5204 traveler son Tehama Lite 561 back in the 90's. The daughters were flat good and lasted a long time. From what I have seen from a small sample is they have emphasized foot quality more than most.

Your comment brought back memories. Tehama Lite 561 was my pick of their fall '92 yearlings. My bid lasted all but a few seconds before the feeding frenzy took place in earnest. :lol:

76 Bar said:
Your comment brought back memories. Tehama Lite 561 was my pick of their fall '92 yearlings. My bid lasted all but a few seconds before the feeding frenzy took place in earnest. :lol:

It's too bad he wasn't used more. After we calved our first crop of 561 daughters I wanted to use him more but couldn't get semen. Select Sires sold a boatload of his half brother Traveler 565 and his daughters couldn't hold a candle to 561.

W.B. said:
76 Bar said:

It's too bad he wasn't used more. After we calved our first crop of 561 daughters I wanted to use him more but couldn't get semen. Select Sires sold a boatload of his half brother Traveler 565 and his daughters couldn't hold a candle to 561.

2 generations of pathfinders directly behind Lite. The Y764 cow & her progeny were held in high esteem by Tehama & others as well. Looked at his current data and FWIW wondering if his foot, docility and RE EPDs came home to roost/contributed to his decline?

76 Bar said:
W.B. said:
76 Bar said:

2 generations of pathfinders directly behind Lite. The Y764 cow & her progeny were held in high esteem by Tehama & others as well. Looked at his current data and FWIW wondering if his foot, docility and RE EPDs came home to roost/contributed to his decline?
You really can't compare a bull from that timeline numerically to current epd numbers the old stuff loses every time. His pedigree estimates for doc and feet epds make him look worse than reality.From what I remember Select Sires leased him but he didn't freeze right away and they owned 565 themselves and he was the bull they pushed. Roy Wallace never liked selling someone else's bull. 561 ended up being marketed by AIG. The bull at that time was owned by Westwind Angus and was later sold into syndication. The new owners really didn't want or need to sell semen on the bull.

MDickinson said:
Select sires guy talked my dad into using him last spring. I wasn't a fan of his picture or the calves they had pictured in the catalog, but they were supposedly some of the best calves the select sires guys saw last fall on their tour. We have around 20 confirmed to him so I guess we will have a pretty good sample this coming spring.
How did those calves turn out?

Katpau said:
MDickinson said:
How did those calves turn out?

We used Tahoe, Rainfall, and Deer Valley Patriot mostly on our Angus herd. The Tahoe calves are the most consistently good calves. We have some nice Rainfall calves as well, but also a few duds. Tahoe calves are all big hipped and growthy.

Good to know. I had purchased semen on him last Fall and had planned to use it this Spring. I was to meet the semen rep when I helped out at this Springs Jackpot show for the kids, but Covid 19 changed that. The semen is still in the her tank an hour North. I decided to use up other semen instead of driving up to get it.

Post some pictures if you can. I did get to see quite a few offspring at bull sales last year and online videos. I thought they looked good and they sold well. I find it difficult to judge a bull by just a photo. Bulls that look good in the photo sometimes don't impress me in a video and it can also go the other way. I remember not liking the picture Genex had of Chisum. I was completely uninterested in the bull until I watched the video of him out in the pasture with the cows.