Technology Investments ?

Help Support CattleToday:

red angus 2010":340iqmze said:
Stocker Steve":340iqmze said:
If you need 5,000 acres to make a technology investment pay off -- what does that mean for the rest of us? Are we limited to decline or to niches?
My point is only the larger you are the possibility it will pay for itself quicker (or you lose money faster).

One effect of American style capitalism is that assets/farms/ranches tend to consolidate as BTOs grow over time.
The other bookend to BTOs is low/zero input operators who can cash flow with depreciated assets but have no operational path forward for their heirs.
I think there is some middle ground - - that focuses more on biology and marketing rather than chemistry and buying more stuff. So far I have a GPS and a new squeeze on my Christmas list. :santa:

Stocker Steve":ourygw8q said:
[So far I have a GPS and a new squeeze on my Christmas list. :santa:

After selling heifers last week I don't have anything on my Christmas list. The wife has a new wheel barrow on her list. Kind of old technology but the savings on fuel to the loader tractor it will pay for itself over time.

Dave":flibq0h4 said:
Stocker Steve":flibq0h4 said:

After selling heifers last week I don't have anything on my Christmas list. The wife has a new wheel barrow on her list. Kind of old technology but the savings on fuel to the loader tractor it will pay for itself over time.
You gonna get back on your horse with the bred heifers?

RanchMan90":a2ie8579 said:
Dave":a2ie8579 said:
Stocker Steve":a2ie8579 said:

You gonna get back on your horse with the bred heifers?

I will do something. Not sure what at this moment. I had a good run with the bred heifers. Just went one year too far. I sort of doubt I will do the heifers again next year. I have a pile of hay and grass will be coming on in about 4 months. Watched some cutter bulls sell a week or two ago that sure would have made money. Saw some broken mouth bred cows that will sure work...... Lots going on right now so I am not going to get in a hurry. A week ago I gave a big square bale to the 3 cows I do have at home. At the rate they are going through it I will have to give them another in about a month. Kind of nice to have to chores slow down like this.

Latest posts