Teaser Bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Mid South Guy

Reaction score
How many of you use a teaser bull for heat detection and is it worth it?

For those who haven't heard the term "teaser bull or gomer bull" it is a fully intact bull that has been surgically altered to be phyiscally unable to service a cow.

hooknline":1soxas41 said:
Seems a waste to me.
For 100% AI operations it can be a real benefit in getting the cows bred early. With a chin ball marker or a mount detector it eliminates the watching phase of heat detection. We just use a horny steer and it works well enough. But a gomer/sidewinder is more positive.

But could the same detection aids be just as usefull with other cows in the mix instead of a gomer?
Not all will ride but idfs are someone will set the marker off. Then you dont have to feed an animal that is useful only once a year and can put a producer in its place

hooknline":2n7qyknv said:
But could the same detection aids be just as usefull with other cows in the mix instead of a gomer?
Not all will ride but idfs are someone will set the marker off. Then you dont have to feed an animal that is useful only once a year and can put a producer in its place
That's why the gomer is more positive. Some cows will ride some cows will never allow another cow to ride them, for tha matter some cows none of the other cows WANT to ride. I decent gomer won;t take no for an answer. They will also usually start tending a cow a day before she comes in so you have more of a heads up. If that gomer will allow you to get your cows bred earlier in the breeding season that pretty much makes up for the difference in dollars between early calves and late calves which would justify his upkeep.

hooknline":1zewfcjb said:

Use to use about a 300 lb. Jersey bull calf. They're about as horny at that size as when mature. If she ain't in heat he will bring her in. :lol2:

hooknline":thaotmwn said:
Ok i have a better understanding now

Me too! Trouble is I think I might be a 300lb Jersey Bull calf :shock: .........well at least I used to be! :frowns:

:lol:
You need to get some advice from KT about his young girlfriend. Apparently he either found the fountain of youth out in those fire breaks

hooknline":q6o774ge said:
:lol:
You need to get some advice from KT about his young girlfriend. Apparently he either found the fountain of youth out in those fire breaks
Hook you might need to remind KT that folks having to experience fires are usually very "desparate". :lol2:

Latest posts