Teaching Horses to Drive

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
What is the best way to start a young horse on how to drive? Get some driving reins and start on the ground and the proceed to a small wagon or cart?

One of my best friends is a driver and has just recently started a new horse after retiring her old cart horse. I'll ask her for a "lesson" and see if she'll post something for you. She's awesome!

Arrow, she says she's having trouble registering for some reason, but here's the mini version . . .

Lots and lots and lots of ground driving. Get the horse used to the person being behind, not on the horse. Then introduce sounds behind her while ground driving. Then introduce some weight-a tire hooked to a safety hook so it can come off quickly if needed is the first type of weight. Then have someone pull on the tire to add some resistance. All of this should be done in a regular bridle. Also all of this should take months-not days or hours. The horse has to be totally dead with all this before adding poles to the sides and incorporate with all of the above. There is nothing more dangerous that a runaway horse and buggy, so patience and going slow and careful are most important.

If you would like to chat with her via e-mail and get more information, send me a PM and I'll give you her e-mail address.

Latest posts