TB free

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
TSCRA e-xpress: News

Texas regains bovine TB-free status from USDA

FORT WORTH, Texas, October 5, 2006‑ The U.S. Department of Agriculture announced Oct. 3 that Texas has regained its bovine tuberculosis-free (TB) status.

Since losing the status in 2002, after two infected herds were found, the Texas cattle industry had operated under movement restrictions required by USDA's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

Shortly after the status downgrade, a TB task force of industry and government officials was created to address the serious challenge. Led by Richard Traylor, TSCRA director and chairman of the Texas Animal Health Commission, the task force developed a five-point plan to put the industry on a solid path to regaining free status.

The centerpiece of this plan included a thorough disease surveillance process that involved testing more than 350,000 cows in Texas dairies and almost 129,000 beef cattle in 2,014 of the state's seedstock or purebred herds.

This testing policy has helped ensure that all TB infection was detected and eliminated and effective surveillance of the disease was upheld.

Other measures in the plan included improved inspection of carcasses by USDA's Food Safety Inspection Service; yearly testing requirements for roping and rodeo steers imported from Mexico; and reducing the risk posed by Mexican-origin feeder cattle, while continuing work with Mexican states to control and eradicate TB.

The new status will have an immediate effect for cattle producers. Breeding and dairy cattle may now be shipped from Texas to other states without first being tested for TB.

However, it will still be necessary to check with the states of destination prior to shipping because of time required for various state animal health officials to update regulations recognizing Texas new status.

The TB-free designation will also allow all cattle originating in Texas to be transported to regional and statewide stock shows and fairs without a TB test.

This is great news for Texas cattle producers, said TSCRA President Dick Sherron. The challenge to regain Texas free status was taken seriously by TSCRAs leadership. Policy adopted by the association in 2002 served as the impetus behind the states five-point plan, Sherron explained.

Bovine tuberculosis is caused by Mycobacterium bovis and can be transmitted from livestock to humans and other animals. It has caused more losses among U.S. farm animals during the beginning of this century than all other infectious diseases combined.

Bovine TB is a chronic disease that sometimes is not evident until the infected animal is slaughtered. Livestock can become infected by sharing a common watering place contaminated with saliva and other discharges from infected deer and other free-ranging wildlife.

Dr. Bob Hillman, Texas state veterinarian, urges cattle producers to take precautions to ensure that this new TB-free status will remain intact and that herds in Texas will remain free of TB.

Saw this in Drovers Alert this morning and can't believe it took this long for someone to post it.

dun":kli8iboh said:
Saw this in Drovers Alert this morning and can't believe it took this long for someone to post it.

Just got in from the hayfield, got two more that need to be cut I am going to turn the cows in. I am tired of baling hay this year. Have hay left from last year.

Caustic Burno":hmpsn9nq said:
dun":hmpsn9nq said:

Just got in from the hayfield, got two more that need to be cut I am going to turn the cows in. I am tired of baling hay this year. Have hay left from last year.

And a just a couple of months ago you were worried about not having enough hay. This year we got one cutting, it was better then last years but it still wasn;t up to snuff.

dun

dun":8z81mebj said:
Caustic Burno":8z81mebj said:
dun":8z81mebj said:

And a just a couple of months ago you were worried about not having enough hay. This year we got one cutting, it was better then last years but it still wasn;t up to snuff.

dun

We went to getting rain every week rest of the dang state is burnt up. Heck at the start of hay season I was baling everything tall enough to cut.

Caustic Burno":3s2ah0ct said:
We went to getting rain every week rest of the dang state is burnt up. Heck at the start of hay season I was baling everything tall enough to cut.

I wound up with 115 round bales of good coastal of off this cutting. I am going to sell another 60 bales. It is a very good time to have hay in this part of Texas. There is another 20 acres of light coastal with some weed. Got a guy who wants to bale it for a third of it. I told him to have at it.

backhoeboogie":3bxy31er said:
Caustic Burno":3bxy31er said:

I wound up with 115 round bales of good coastal of off this cutting. I am going to sell another 60 bales. It is a very good time to have hay in this part of Texas. There is another 20 acres of light coastal with some weed. Got a guy who wants to bale it for a third of it. I told him to have at it.

BHB,

Do you already have a buyer?? I may need some more. How big are the rolls and what are you going to ask for them??

Jack

jack.diamond":1pamfkzi said:
backhoeboogie":1pamfkzi said:
Caustic Burno":1pamfkzi said:

BHB,

Do you already have a buyer?? I may need some more. How big are the rolls and what are you going to ask for them??

Jack

Check your pm.