taste between bull and steer

Help Support CattleToday:

And to throw another monkey wrench in the works, I think heifers fatten up and marble easier and quicker than steers.

hooknline":331z09i9 said:
And to throw another monkey wrench in the works, I think heifers fatten up and marble easier and quicker than steers.
The few I feed out for family have always been hiefer s because steers are worth more at the sale.

I don't think that's going to be the case once your drought breaks. Good heifer will bring more than steers I would think.

S
hooknline":296rby1p said:
I don't think that's going to be the case once your drought breaks. Good heifer will bring more than steers I would think.
That's what I'm hoping this year out of the 100 head I have left I have 70 hiefer s.. hopefully ill have 60 or so good ones ... I'm gonna hold them and see what happens ....

We butcher both, no one has yet been able to tell whether they were steers or bulls. Both marble comparable and similiar Rib eye and a little more fat on steers (ultrasound). We butchered one 27 month heifer as she would not breed. we kept her as we were afraid she'd be tough eating. We were wrong - very tender and tasty.
Valerie

I'm eating a 16-17 mo. old black baldie bull right now. He got about 6 lbs of grain a day from the time I got him at 400 lbs, to 12 lbs of grain a day for his last 3 mos. He had an ADG of 3.7 lbs. I slaughtered him in May. He had about 1" of fat around the carcass and I was able to dry age him for 21 days. The meat was less marbled thAn :roll: usual, but he is among the most tender beef I've raised. The yield was 68% of hanging wt. up from my normal 63%. I had some customers/friends over and I grilled up some rib steaks. After we ate them one of the guys accused me of "hoarding the good steers for myself". I told them they were eating steaks from a bull and they could not believe it. :nod: I've got a yearling black angus bull out in the pasture now about 900 lbs., I'll keep a hind quarter from him come January. He's nice and fat after eating his fill of free cull sweetcorn for the last two and a half months.

Latest posts