Tarentaise cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

lilbitfarm

Reaction score
I would like to find out some more about tarentaise cattle from folks that have them pure or comm. breeders just want some more info. on them than the breed association booklet as.

thanks

I know a few farmer that just lives down the road from me, he has some and they were pretty high strung animals. Some of them had horns and they were nasty animals. They aren't really that pretty looking. They are very ugly animals that I really wouldn't raise. :cboy:

Thats funny because I think theyre one of, if not the most attractive looking colored cattle Ive ever seen. Dark Cherry red bulls with black pigmentation and highlights. Check out Ankenman Tarentaise. They have a website and some great looking cattle.

I think they are nice looking animals.Always wanted to buy a few of them,but it's not very often you see them for sale at a cow sale.The ones i have seen at cow sales,always seem like like quiet and gentle cows.

Hill Creek, if you've only seen one herd or a few, watch how much you criticize. There's some ugly darn Herefords in the neighbours' herd, but I don't make generalized comments on the poor structure of the whole breed.

Anyway, as far as Tarentaise, they are a pleasure as a commercial OR purebred animal. We've had Tarentaise cross cows for 7 years, and they consistently bring in a heavy, healthy calf, with very few problems. You will go a long, long way to find a Tarentaise with a bad udder or bad feet.

As for attitude, management can change their attitude alot, but the breed in general is know for a very quiet disposition. They're as quiet as our HerefordXAngus crosses.

Check out these sites:

http://www.pharocattle.com

http://www.tarentaise.ca

http://www.bryceburnett.com

You'll see some very impressive Tarentaise genetics that'll make you wonder why the breed never gained popularity. The only thing I have against 'em, are those danged antlers. :cboy:

Been reading about Tarentaise for some time now. Think they have a lot to offer as an alternate Euro breed. Can't seem to find anyone here in Australia that is committed to selling me a bull and maybe a female or two. There are some about somewhere but can't get much info. Semen is available but I'd like a live animal. Perhaps they are that good that no one wants to let them go.Any suggestions?
Colin :D

You could always import, your choice. Have you tried doing an internet search for your Tarentaise Association?

I have read alot of really good thinks about them but nothing beats talk'n to someone that has some . now if I could find a few more folks that have them to tell a little more about the breed. as for the horns I can fix that in about a mintue. the only thing here with horns is the ol jacbos ram that thinks he's a bull the bigest pest on the place :lol:

I'am going to e-mail Seven lakes Tarentaise in GA. with some things I want answers to later to nite I have looked at that web site you posted thanks :cboy:

We have one tarantaise/angus cross cow that my father-in-law raised and gave to my wife. He has a few purebred animals and some half angus crosses. He is really pleased with his animals, all of which are polled. My only complaint is their calves seem to be finer boned than I like. They're not wild by any means, but they're no herefords, either.

I had a Tarentaise bull out with my cows for a couple of years. My brother's. Just a clean up bull when my other one failed. A little too aggressive for my taste. My brother has quite a few Tarentaise cows. Some of those calves will actually seek you out to charge at you. Worse than a limo as far as I'm concerned. Just too high strung. JMHO.

I looked into getting some Tarentaise blood into the herd a while back. They seem like a right nice animal in my opinion. Aren't they used mainly for cheese production in Europe? Can't recall at the moment...

Don't know about cheese production, Legacy, but they definitely work for beef. I checked out that Ankenman Tarentaise website....IMPRESSIVE. Fancy females and some pretty powerful bulls. Some bulls are a little shy on the heart girth, but there's some crankin good ones there.

Latest posts