Talk about timing

Help Support CattleToday:

txfbc

Reaction score
How about this for timing. Our small herd of 10 cows has produced 5 calves in the past 8 days. 3 today!! We've got babies coming out of our ears right now. That brings us to 7 out of the 10 having calves since Dec. 4. Anyone else with a small herd ever end up with such timing? I know if your planning exactly when your bull does his duty this is expected, but these cows last year calved from Dec. 12 to Jan. 24, and our bull ran with them all the time. Just seems a little wierd that they are all hitting at the same time.

Jeff

txfbc":tavd7w0l said:
How about this for timing. Our small herd of 10 cows has produced 5 calves in the past 8 days. 3 today!! We've got babies coming out of our ears right now. That brings us to 7 out of the 10 having calves since Dec. 4. Anyone else with a small herd ever end up with such timing? I know if your planning exactly when your bull does his duty this is expected, but these cows last year calved from Dec. 12 to Jan. 24, and our bull ran with them all the time. Just seems a little wierd that they are all hitting at the same time.

Jeff
Last year your calves were 43 days apart (Dec 12 to Jan 24) and right now you have 7/10 in 36 days - right on schedule. You might have had a group of cows come into heat close together because of weather or nutrition. Also, they may not have been bred that close together, but weather will trigger close-up cows to calve all of a sudden.

txfbc":1okuar91 said:

Jeff

A lot of years ago when we 1st started out in the 80,s. we had about 15 cows. We had 7 calves on the ground. By night-fall the next night we were done. :D I think the weather had a lot to do with it.

Latest posts