taking steer to butcher

Help Support CattleToday:

ccr

ranch hand
Reaction score
i've heard some folks say they didn't think the meat they got from the butcher was the steer that they fed out. they thought the meat received would be better.

how do you know the meat you pick up is sure enough from the steer you took to be processed?

ccr said:
I've heard some folks say they didn't think the meat they got from the butcher was the steer
that they fed out. they thought the meat received would be better.
How do you know the meat you pick up is sure enough from the steer you took to be processed?
There is 10% that are always out of touch with reality and expected outcomes.
No matter what it is their's is always the best or the sky is falling.

Trust and experience, we've butchered enough to know what to expect and have never had
a problem. Plus the butchers we've used are small enough that any mistake would almost have
to be deliberate and bad for business.

I agree. I hear all the time "don't use so & so, you won't get your meat back", "or, you won't get it all back".
"MOST" back yard feeders don't have a clue how to properly finish an animal. What they get back is basically crappy because that's how they fed it.
Trust and knowing your product. Many newbies are fooled by looking at their cattle and thinking the REA is much bigger than what it really is.

I had one switched.

A processor Dad and I had used since the 70's went out of business. I switched to one in Weatherford for 6 or 7 steers. No problem. Then I got back an old cow or something. Clearly not what I took in. I've never been back.

Hauled steers all the way to Hamilton, Texas several times. Then I found a new maw and pop place about 40 miles away. I like them. They have now done a half dozen for me and they seem to appreciate my business.

I don't think my dad ever got a beef back from the processor that was the one he actually delivered there. lolol