Taking calf off of grain

Help Support CattleToday:

coyotefur

Reaction score
I planned on butchering this bull. He has been on as much grain/ pasture /water as he can eat.

I've decided to keep him.

Do I need to wean him off of the grain? Can he go cold turkey?

It might work, but drastic changes in diet are generally not a good idea. I'd gradually reduce the amount of grain over a period of time.

Rafter S":jvmko19h said:
It might work, but drastic changes in diet are generally not a good idea. I'd gradually reduce the amount of grain over a period of time.

That's what Im thinking. Any suggestions of how much when weaning?

coyotefur":1lv4ubkz said:
Rafter S":1lv4ubkz said:

That's what Im thinking. Any suggestions of how much when weaning?

I'm by no means an authority, but since you said he's been on grain free choice I'd say the longer the better. Probably minimum two weeks. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will reply to confirm or contradict me.

Have never done it of course but here's what I've read. First, if he has been on grain for a long time fat may have accumulated in the scrotum so that it will forever interfere with semen flow. Ok if you only have a couple cows and don't care how many times it takes to service them, but...
In the rumen, as I understand it, it takes different bacteria to breakdown different types of food stuffs so while corn bacteria is being reduced, hay and grass bacteria must be on the increase. That takes time so I'd agree that a gradual withdrawal is best.
If it were my choice, I'd stick to the original plan; eat him and AI the cows.

Latest posts