Tail up ???

Help Support CattleToday:

Texas PaPaw

Reaction score
Have a yearling heifer that is continually holding her tail up like she needs to poop or pee. Sometimes humped up but not always. First noticed this Saturday morning, was doing it Sat evening and again this morning. Have seen her eat and she seems to feel ok. Haven't seen any poop or pee come out, yet she doesn't look too full.

Do heifers ever have urinary calculi? Have seen it in steers a few times.

Any ideas what is happening?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Not sure about urinary calculi, but heifers can get urinary tract infections. Makes them act kind of like you described.

milkmaid":1j1gbvti said:
Not sure about urinary calculi, but heifers can get urinary tract infections. Makes them act kind of like you described.

Heifers do get urinary calculi, but because of the female anotomy it doesn't really cause any problems like it would in bulls. I agree with MM what you describe sounds like cystitis, it responds to both pennicilin and oxytetracycline, but you need to treat aggressively for at least 5 days and be prepared that it will likely flare up again.

Also responds very well to sulfas. I treated my heifer with a UTI with sulfas and oxytet for either 10 or 14 days, and she was good as new after that.

KNERSIE":12wkd1pw said:
milkmaid":12wkd1pw said:

Heifers do get urinary calculi, but because of the female anotomy it doesn't really cause any problems like it would in bulls. I agree with MM what you describe sounds like cystitis, it responds to both pennicilin and oxytetracycline, but you need to treat aggressively for at least 5 days and be prepared that it will likely flare up again.

Thanks for your responses. Have a new bottle of Noromycin (generic Tetradure) that I'll treat her with. Should be a good test for its effectiveness.

here is an odd equestion:
how close is she to calving, or did she abort and either the fetus is still inside or she has not cleaned. I know she is a yearling but things happen...

My first thought was that she could have just bred... then maybe she could be ready to calve. Both of those are symptoms.

Treated heifer with Noromycin on Monday. On Wednesday she still held her tail up slightly at times but have not seen it up today. Will give her 1 more dose to be sure it doesn't relapse.

This is a thin feeder heifer purchased a week ago. Doesn't appear to be bred but anything is possible.

Have been using Noromycin on all salebarn purchased animals for the last month. So far none have required any further treatment.

Latest posts