tagging tips

Help Support CattleToday:

Don't have many cows, and I try to tag asap. Sometimes I can tag right there, couple of time I've had to look for cover, (hope if someone tries to steal a calf they pick one of them). What seems to work best is watching where they leave calf and usually after feeding them and closing gate behind me, I am fortunate enough to ease up on them and tag and blackleg.
Since I can get most of them this way, what I have left is not hard to fix when they get worked.

Used to band at same time, and probably should, but lost one born in July one year, approximately 1-2 weeks after banding. When I found it, coyotes had beaten me to it. An experienced cowhand thought it could have been infection or something related to banding in the warm weather. What are your thoughts?

Howdy,
I get onto the calves as soon as possible. Usaully they still might be a little wet, but, I will tag, shot of Bo-Se, iodine, and weigh, then let momma have the calf back. Out into the pasture in the gator with shot, and tagger ready. Most times the cow leaves me alone, sometimes I have to use the calf as a shield, and othertimes, I have to forgo the usual practice and move the momma and calf towards a smaller yard and chute area.. (sometimes that is because the turkey buzzards have already bothered her. 99% of the time, I tag and do everything in the pasture by myself.

We tag, iodine & Bo-Se & weigh right away too. Mama usually leaves them after a while when they're sleeping & I can walk right up to them. As long as you can keep the calf from bawling Mom will leave me alone- so I tag last. Sometimes I park the mule between me & mama & throw her a tub of grain just to buy myself a few extra seconds if needed. Most of our girls are very good & I don't think we will have to do the mule trick this year. Sold that one.

Latest posts