T-posts

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
I found a local guy that has 200 T-posts still in the ground that are all two years old or newer. I think locally they sale for $3.99 each. He wants $2 each for them or said he would make a deal if I would come and get them out of the ground and take them. What's the best way to get these out of the ground? Do I need a special tool that would make it easier?

There is a tool called a "T Post Puller", run you about $15.00 at the farm store, best thing I know to get T Posts out with. Plan on a full day if you are looking to get 200 of them out the ground. While it doesn't take long to extract each T post, it gets awful monotnous after a while. BTDT!lol.

I use the tractor. Have a heavy steel plate with a pyramid shaped hole in it. Drop it over the post and pull. Theplate is on a chain that I hook to the chain hooks on the bucket.

I think if I had to go out and take them out of the ground the only way that would be worth it over new ones would be if he gave them to me free.

How long are they? How deep in the ground are they? What percent is or will be bent when they are pulled.

Bent or twisted T posts are a pain to install since you can't get them straight and they corkscrew into the ground. Length is important. Are they sufficient for what you have planned? Are they so long they will be a pain to get out? How were they installed, manually or with an automated tool?

Before you agree to anything I would go out and try to pull a couple at random and see what you are dealing with. New ones might look not so expensive after a while. Good luck.

Jim

If you have one a handyman jack also works by wrapping one end of a chain around the bottom of the post and the other around the lifting part of the jack. If the ground is soft you might need a small piece of plywood to put under the jack to keep it from sinking into the ground. This project seems like a lot of work but if you think the savings are worth the time you can never have enough t-posts around.

Good luck,

shloh1981

If I have to pull 200 posts with a handyman jack, he better be paying me and I get the posts. :D :nod:
And they better be good heavyweight posts. @

shloh1981":1g93a313 said:
If you have one a handyman jack also works by wrapping one end of a chain around the bottom of the post and the other around the lifting part of the jack. If the ground is soft you might need a small piece of plywood to put under the jack to keep it from sinking into the ground. This project seems like a lot of work but if you think the savings are worth the time you can never have enough t-posts around.

Good luck,

shloh1981

If I had to pull them I wouldn't give anything for them. I have pulled them with just a 3 point and a chain. If you have a helper it's not too time consuming. Then after you pull'em you still have to pick them up and load them and haul them home.

I use my haybed on my truck if they are where i can get the truck to them.Get a safty chain off of a bushhog or a haybaler, it will slide over the post and lock. If i can get at them i can pull a 100 or so in a hour. If you save two dollars a post that two hundred buck in a hour.

AudieWyoming":3h1cr18b said:
If I have to pull 200 posts with a handyman jack, he better be paying me and I get the posts. :D :nod:
And they better be good heavyweight posts. @

shloh1981":3h1cr18b said:

Good luck,

shloh1981

Audie, I agree this is not a job for a handyman jack.

Razorback21":250rrblr said:
There is a tool called a "T Post Puller", run you about $15.00 at the farm store, best thing I know to get T Posts out with. Plan on a full day if you are looking to get 200 of them out the ground. While it doesn't take long to extract each T post, it gets awful monotnous after a while. BTDT!lol.
This is the correct extraction solution except I'd have 'em out and gone in 2 hrs but I'm not ordinary.:D

TNCattle, if you have access to a tractor with a fel this wouldn't be a bad job. You'll need a helper; it will go at least twice as fast. Pull them before the ground gets too dry will make it real easy. A metal plate about 1/4" thick with a hole that will fit over the post and has one straight side on the hole works great. You'll need A short piece of chain with a hook on one end for attaching to the bucket or hayspear. The other end of the chain can be bolted or welded to the bracket.

Been farmin over 50yrs. Havn't had to many jobs that payed me 200 bucks an hour. Heck, most jobs I make less than 10 bucks per hr. Some days I would have made more if I would have stayed in bed. :)

Thanks for the ideas but I just found another guy who has around 300 already pulled out and in nice piles and he wants $1 each. I'll definitely take those, just throw em in the truck and go home.

once the frost goes out they will pull really easy by hand. if you don' t need them, you could pull them & resell out here for 3.50 easy

Latest posts