T post prices

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1":2x02xeja said:
willow bottom":2x02xeja said:
Is it just me or have t post prices gone up?

Nope they have gone up but i can get them fairly cheap and good ones at the scrap yard for a buck each

$3.99 here at TSC for 6'

Finished steel goods are up 15-18% since January 1, and that doesn't count the tariff that was imposed yesterday. Just got word that Stay Tuff is putting on a 10% tariff surcharge to cover it.

willow bottom":2gyd23l4 said:
skyhightree1":2gyd23l4 said:
willow bottom":2gyd23l4 said:
Is it just me or have t post prices gone up?

Nope they have gone up but i can get them fairly cheap and good ones at the scrap yard for a buck each

$3.99 here at TSC for 6'

TSC is the highest place you can buy from IMO or atleast here we have a Agri Supply that is reasonable even stuff on sale at TSC is high as crap. Tsc electric fence wire is cheapest ive found though

4 bucks is just too high for a t post, i either use locust or those 4' steel post you can get at rural king for a dollar. seems like everything at tractor supply is going up like the gate handles were $1.99 now $2.79

skyhightree1":34rcv0nd said:
willow bottom":34rcv0nd said:
skyhightree1":34rcv0nd said:

$3.99 here at TSC for 6'

TSC is the highest place you can buy from IMO or atleast here we have a Agri Supply that is reasonable even stuff on sale at TSC is high as crap. Tsc electric fence wire is cheapest ive found though

I'm with you on TSC being too high these days. I used to pretty much buy everything from them without price shopping but the last few years they have just gotten too high. They usually have quality stuff though. I stopped in there the other day and bought some horse shampoo and conditioner, think it was around $15 so not too bad. I'd never bought any shampoo for a horse so didn't know what to expect price wise. The next day I stopped in the other farm store in town and the same exact stuff was $9 and came with a wash mit. $6 bucks isn't that big of a deal but can add up.

Stocker Steve":1mfp95i7 said:
Unprepared steel scrap went from $75 to $100 per ton recently.
It was as low as $40 last year, but I never saw T post prices go down...

Bullshyt
You didn't look. .. pipe, wire and tpost prices have varied greatly in the past 20 years with highs and lows near 100 percent. Over the past couple of years we have enjoyed all time lows in tpost prices. The market will likely overcorrect then hopefully if the tarrif sticks it will settle in the middle. I've got around 5000 out there and I hope they go through the roof.

Wire still isn't back up to where it was 9 or 10 years ago. We had a discussion about the affects of inflation and raw material costs on fencing material last night. A 4" x 7.5' creosote post cost $2.50 in 1962, and stockmen didn't hesitate to pay for the quality. That'd be about $21 in today's money, which should make 15 bucks for a galvanized schedule 40 pipe seem pretty cheap...…..but it doesn't for most.

Issue is commodity prices are not keeping pace with inputs. Not sold on the make it up with volume approach, so we have found ways to reduce fertilizer and seed expenses, often trying to grow our own.

Still investing in fence and water, but a lot of my fence is single strand high tensile using 35 cent 3/8" rebar posts.

Stocker Steve":9lax772b said:
Issue is commodity prices are not keeping pace with inputs. Not sold on the make it up with volume approach, so we have found ways to reduce fertilizer and seed expenses, often trying to grow our own.

Still investing in fence and water, but a lot of my fence is single strand high tensile using 35 cent 3/8" rebar posts.

I'd be a liar if I told you that I didn't have a chit load of single strand hot wire, but it's on T posts I got paid to pull out and haul away. ;-) Have to use what ya got!

Y'all go drive a 1.33 tpost and a 3-4" wood post in the ground equal depth.
Hook a chain strainer between the two.
Or if you really wanna pull use a come along. See what one BREAKS first.

Wood is outdated as low tensile wire

Latest posts