sympathy card

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
What is the proper etiquette for sending a sympathy card, do you enclose a money gift with it?

Thanks

GMN":3i4z3c3a said:
What is the proper etiquette for sending a sympathy card, do you enclose a money gift with it?

Thanks

A common practice here if for the obituary to state where funds can be send in lieu of flowers etc. We usually just make a donation to that place in memory of the deceased and send a separate card to the family.

We have been receiving quite a few sympathy cards for my Mom's passing and the ones with money have all been checks made out to the scholarship fund at the bank but mailed to us!

I don't usually send money with a sympathy card. As well, all the sympathy cards I have recieved in my lifetime didn't have money enclosed.

If it is a situation where "In lieu of flowers, donations can be made...." the money has been sent separately.

The only time I have known of money/cash being involved in a situation like that is if the family, or family members are in dire straights financially, and we (those of us who participated) collected cash separate from cards and gave the cash to the family/family member.

Katherine

I agree. A sympathy card should just be your thoughts and words. Anything else should go elsewhere.

If/when I do give money I prefer that they don't know where it came from so I don't like the idea of a gift with the card. I'm not even a fan of cards. If I care enough to send a card I'll call and find out if there's a need I can meet for them and express my sympathies in person.

On several occasions I've been told that after the funeral or services, after all the hullabaloo has died down, that's often when people could use a hand. Everyone wants to help right away. The best received offers have always been the ones after the excitement has died down. Sometimes a week, sometimes a month or more.

hooknline":32dokl5z said:
On several occasions I've been told that after the funeral or services, after all the hullabaloo has died down, that's often when people could use a hand. Everyone wants to help right away. The best received offers have always been the ones after the excitement has died down. Sometimes a week, sometimes a month or more.
Right!

hooknline":j7cx6vuh said:

Well stated Hook.....

GMN":2aynvgin said:

Thanks

I'm not sure what the proper etiquette is, but I have sent and received cards with and without a monetary gift. When folks are mourning, I don't really think they care one way or the other if there is money in it or not.

Latest posts