Swing and a miss

Help Support CattleToday:

That's going to happen 30-40% of the time.. with fixed time AI.

AI her again , then turn in the clean up bull....

She should be comin back in either today or tomorrow. So I'm just goin to stick her on observed heat following the am pm rule. No bull to use for cleanup right now. Not until I stock the bigger peice of land. May take her Over to a buddies place for cleanup.

Breeding on natural heat you should get better results. I've had some that would not take AI .I don't even try them anymore I just turn them with the bull.

The few that I a.i. Are all in natural heat. I have my best results that way.

That's probably why you should start by doing 200 insems, like I did.
You get accurate feedback in three weeks time.

Good luck with the rest of them. I've got one in the herd I've failed on twice now and she's really annoying me - nice young cow, had an AI calf this spring but I remember she was difficult to inseminate last year. Put her out with the bull while still on standing heat both times and expecting her to cycle again within the next few days, seems the bulls can't get her either.

regolith":1hv60f4v said:
You get accurate feedback in three weeks

That's crazy talk right there. 50 in a day would be a challenge for me right now. 200, well I'd have to spread that out over a few days

Happens to everyone. We have one cow that is hard to catch so my husband has started breeding her twice. She wouldn't catch when he bred her at the optimum time. She has been settling ever since he started breeding her twice (about a 16 hours apart). I guess that she is slow releasing her egg or something. She will be calving soon and I am curious to see what she has. He bred her to a Jersey and then an Angus.

hooknline":7jqhxsh5 said:
regolith":7jqhxsh5 said:
You get accurate feedback in three weeks

That's crazy talk right there. 50 in a day would be a challenge for me right now. 200, well I'd have to spread that out over a few days

meant 200 in the first breeding season... most I've ever done in a day would be 18, I think. The technicians who travel herd to herd during mating do about 200 in a morning but not in their first year, first year they're on probation assisting someone experienced.

regolith":296qj8mb said:
meant 200 in the first breeding season... most I've ever done in a day would be 18, I think. The technicians who travel herd to herd during mating do about 200 in a morning but not in their first year, first year they're on probation assisting someone experienced.

and building forearms

She was standing this afternoon so I will try again in the am

Interesting note also: she has a 23-24 day cycle. I just went back on the calendar and tracked what and when i saw activity. How does that affect FTAI protocols?

hooknline":1zcmr2z9 said:
She was standing this afternoon so I will try again in the am

Interesting note also: she has a 23-24 day cycle. I just went back on the calendar and tracked what and when i saw activity. How does that affect FTAI protocols?
Not much. I always add in a day between the first gnrh and the lut to get a better cl but it's not a necesity. You can really flex timed insemenations if you understand the cows cycle.
FWIW, MOST cows are on a twenty two or three day cycle. I only see 21 day heats on heifers, young cows with great nutrition, and a handfull of older cows.

Using the ov sync with cidr, would that explain the miss?
I've learned from this that FTAI isn't as exact as I thought and to focus as much on the timing as the observed heat.
Thanks cp

hooknline":27x5holh said:
Using the ov sync with cidr, would that explain the miss?
I've learned from this that FTAI isn't as exact as I thought and to focus as much on the timing as the observed heat.
Thanks cp
No, not likely. She just didn't stick. The best thing you can do for yourself right now is accept that you WILL fail AT LEAST 40% of the time through no fault of your own when you breed cows. Once you send a round down-range it's all up to them and sometimes they don't get it done. ;-)

Hey Hook
Something we do is if we have a cow cycle a second time after first AI, cover her 12 AND 24 hours after observing standing heat. We also give a shot of GnRH at the first breeding (Cysterelin), that we we feel like we gave her the best chance to get stuck. Works most of the time.

Latest posts