swelling in a calves hoof.

Help Support CattleToday:

jselkir

Reaction score
I have one calve that has swelling in his hoof. What should I do, I have given him two shots of penicillin for two days. And put him in the barnyard with one other calve. What else should I do? He does not have anything in his hoof, the hoof was clean.

I'd give it dexamethazone or a cortizone drug for inflammation. We give dex to our dairy cows, 10cc IM for limping, and or temp paralysis after calving works real good. Have to get these drugs at a vet they are prescription only. Hope this helps

Gail

Could be footrot...hard to even make a guess without more information. Not seeing any improvement with the penicillin? Two possibilities - 1) whatever is causing the problem (bacteria) is not susceptible to penicillin, 2) you're not giving enough antibiotic to be effective - or, third possibility, wrong diagnosis. Maybe it isn't an infection.

jselkir":2fdgsf5w said:
I have one calve that has swelling in his hoof. What should I do, I have given him two shots of penicillin for two days. And put him in the barnyard with one other calve. What else should I do? He does not have anything in his hoof, the hoof was clean.

When you say you checked his foot, I'm assuming you checked between his toes as well? Has your weather been cold lately? Might be a simple thing of simply stepping down wrong on a frozen cowpie or something and 'spraining' (for lack of a better term) his fetlock (I think that's the correct term, but not for certain), may also have slipped and injured the same area - that could certainly account for the swelling and lameness.

I had one like that about 2 months ago Beefy. I found the abcess blowout then lanced it and cleaned with Iodine and covered it in an antibiotic cream. I kept it opened and draining for about 3 or 4 days and he has totally recovered now.

Latest posts