sweating steer

Help Support CattleToday:

Hobby Hereford

Reaction score
Son's 4h Angus steer has started sweating quite a bit in the last 24 hours, his coat is soaked from his back half way down his sides...eating and drinking fine? Could it be the weather in November is very warm for this area? Any input is appreciated.

i have show steers who have recently started sweating ,all it is ,is that they are eating grain which makes them heat up and the fact that they are getting a little bit fat doesnt help either.no need to worry if eating and drinking well...and where do you live

My steer is inside and it has been -20--30 outside and he still sweats and j do t know why either! Anybody else have and suggestions on why

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Sick? Is he eating well? What is the temperature INSIDE? How much hair?

I do not think that he is sick he is eatin 20lbs a day of just grain that is the temperature outside but it's probably close to -10 inside he has lots of hair hasn't been clipped yet.

It's probably more condensation rather than sweat, as the cold dry air draws the moisture from his warmer body. It happens inside barns a lot in cold weather, especially if you've washed and dried, then come back later to find them damp again. It's part of why some folks run fans when it seems cold enough not to. If he seems to be feeling fine and eating well, I wouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts