Sushi

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Sushi is one of my all time favorite foods and since it is a little pricey (not to mention how my husband rolls his eyes if I suggest it for a place to go out for dinner) I was thinking of buying the kit and rolling them myself..

Has anyone else made their own sushi and if so is it easy and does it taste the same...I think the california rolls and the spicy tuna rolls might be a little challenging to get all the ingredients to taste the same as a restaurants..

Thanks

hillsdown":3o8orxzq said:
Sushi is one of my all time favorite foods and since it is a little pricey (not to mention how my husband rolls his eyes if I suggest it for a place to go out for dinner) I was thinking of buying the kit and rolling them myself..

Has anyone else made their own sushi and if so is it easy and does it taste the same...I think the california rolls and the spicy tuna rolls might be a little challenging to get all the ingredients to taste the same as a restaurants..

Thanks

HD my kid loves the stuff. :nod: Whenever we go to the big city she drags me to a sushi bar. :roll: I'm sorry, but yuck, I hate it! She also tried talking me into buying all the stuff to make it at home, so far I have stood strong. Hmmm......possible Christmas present for her? :D

Raw fish or funny things that crawl around over the bottom of the ocean, are usually related to spiders and eat dead rotten things - plus some spices?

I am sorry but I cannot help you.

:D :D

Bless your husband for standing his ground - tell him he has an ally.

:D

Cheers

Bez+

MM, if you get it for your daughter let me know how it is.. if I try it myself I will do the same.. :)

Bez, even I cannot eat some of the rolls that are offered YUK,,even with a shitzen load of saki.. :lol2:

I think that your biggest problem is going to be buying sushi grade fish. You don't just go to the grocery story to buy this type fish. It comes straight from the fishing boats and is the first fish sold. It is also the highest priced fish sold.

Another thing on sushi, the sushi chefs are very trained in what to look for in the fish. If you don't have that training, I would advise for you not to do it. Raw fish can be a bad thing if you don't know what to look for.

Sushi is expensive for many reasons.

Granny Soo
A friend of ours owns a really nice seafood shop in the city where it is flown in fresh so that won't be a problem getting good quality fish.

I am more of wanting to make my own sushi for the convenience of it and we have dinner parties quite often and a lot of our friends enjoy it as well.. It might be a nice change from the usually prime rib or tenderloin..

Thanks, it would be a definite concern if you do not know what to look for..

hillsdown":1lo5xzdh said:
Granny Soo
A friend of ours owns a really nice seafood shop in the city where it is flown in fresh so that won't be a problem getting good quality fish.

That's going to be a big help in your search for good seafood. I'm sure that your friend can and will help you get the better fish.

I really like sushi, but we only have 1 place around our area that serves it and we don't have anything that resembles sushi grade fish. Call me paranoid if you wish, but I took my laser thermometer (pocket size) with me to check the temperature of the sushi bar and it was 48 degrees. Needless to say, I won't be eating any from there.

Good stuff, but can hurt you if not done right!

Hillsdown, you're so right, you can save a lot of money making your own sushi. Been "rollin' my own" for many years now. We can get sushi grade at a couple of different stores here, but even if you can't, you can easily use cooked shrimp (for spicy shrimp salad rolls), imitation crab (for California rolls), smoked salmon (for smoked salmon rolls with cream cheese) or cooked scallops to make cut rolls or hand rolls. I've been eating and making sushi for over ten years and have never gotten sick, but I only use raw ingredients when I know they're best quality, otherwise I use cooked.

Only real equipment you need is a couple of bamboo sushi rollers (you don't need rollers for hand rolls but they take a bit more practice) and a good, thin serrated knife for cutting. Anything extra, like fancy dipping dishes, chopsticks, rice cookers are totally optional. Most big grocery stores have seaweed paper (nori) and powdered wasabi (horseradish paste) in the asian food aisle.

Practice makes perfect and it does take some time to learn how to roll them tight. When you roll them too loose, they don't hold together as well and don't look as nice. Still taste good though. Always use sticky rice, not long grained rice. Splash the rice lightly with seasoned rice vinegar (rice vinegar with sugar in it) when it's still hot, toss it gently, and let it cool completely before using it. Inside the rolls, corporate long thin slices of cucumber and avocado, radish sprouts if you can get them, sesame seeds, there are lots of options. When cutting rolls, clean the knife between cuts.

Those are my main tips. You'd prolly only need to watch someone making it in person or on a how to video once or twice to get the general idea. It's a fun thing to do with a couple of friends or family, and I sometimes teach it in a cooking class I do with some rather adventurous teenagers. If you're interested in trying it, just jump in and do it.

2/B or not 2/B":yi7m6c6a said:
It's a fun thing to do with a couple of friends or family, and I sometimes teach it in a cooking class I do with some rather adventurous teenagers. If you're interested in trying it, just jump in and do it.

2/B you must be an angel sent from heaven. :nod: I've got just the deal for ya. See I have an adventurous teen who hates MN winters, want's to go to college in So Cal, loves sushi. You two are a perfect fit!!!!! :D She is very good at working cattle. :nod: You can have her, really. (I will pay all transportation, housing, food, well everything) I'll PM you her flight number. :D

Thanks 2B great post with tons of info. I had wondered about using cooked ingredients when in a pinch or even imitation crab, I have tried California rolls with imitation crab before and although not quite the same, still really good. The only rice I use is sticky anyways as it is the only way I can get the hubby to eat rice and wasabi paste comes in handy to spice other things up as well as an awesome cure for a stuffy nose. :lol2:

OK you have talked me into it I am going for it.. :D

Oh and can you get away without using the seaweed paper or use something else ? That stuff is nasty and really one thing that I could do without.

Sushi is the ONLY reason I miss living in a big city or near the coast....The only fresh fish we have around here is catfish! Here, they catch huge cats, as big as children, that have been bottom feeding in the rivers for the last 50 years, hang it in a tree, and cut off big slices to fry up. I imagine fresh cold water ocean fish is a heck of a lot cleaner to eat cooked or raw. I did give up raw oysters (imagine what's washed into the gulf since the huricanes!!)

I love good sushi, sake's just the icing on the cake.

When I lived in the village in Alaska, everytime I (or anyone else I suppose) went into Anchorage, people would ask me to get them something you could not get in the village (I always asked for anything from McDonalds and fresh diet coke). The #1 most requested "Bring Me Home....." from my friends was sushi. They for sure didn't have to worry about me eating it...... :help: My kids all like it.

hillsdown":zt4g6733 said:
Oh and can you get away without using the seaweed paper or use something else ? That stuff is nasty and really one thing that I could do without.

There's another type of wrapper made out of soy. It's whitish colored and doesn't have much taste. I don't usually see it in stores, so you'd prolly have to order it on-line. Restaurants use it commonly for people who don't like the taste of seaweed (which is high in iodine and good for you!). Unless you're making individual pieces of fish sitting on top of rice pats (nigiri sushi), you need something to hold the rolls together. There are also inside out rolls that have rice on the outside (and usually a layer of seaweed on the inside). To roll the inside out roll, you have to cover the bamboo roller with saran wrap. To cut the roll, you cut right through the saran wrap and then just pull it off the roll when you're done.

There are so many kinds of sushi and everyone has different taste, but if you really like it, it's worth experimenting. I've never met anyone who absolutely can't do it. Some just need more practice than others. There are some types of sushi I only eat in restaurants b/c they're too complicated to make but you can make many types at home that will taste every bit as good.

Pickled sliced ginger is good to have as a condiment too, but not necessary. At the Japanese fish market, I can get the little tiny fish eggs (tobiko) frozen in packages. I usually have one in the freezer at home and they last a long time.

Here is an idea for making a "salad style" roll out of cooked ingredients like imitation crab (shredded and chopped), cooked scallops (chopped), or cooked shrimp (any size shrimp, chop if needed): use about 1 cup of cooked ingredients, add about 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, 1 1/2 teaspoons very finely chopped green onion, 1/4 teaspoon very, very finely chopped pickled or fresh ginger, 1/4 teaspoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds, pinch of red chili powder. Adjust flavors and add salt or more mayo if needed. If you used pickled ginger, add about 1/4 teaspoon or less of the juice b/c it adds the right flavor and thins out the salad a little bit. If you have little fish eggs, add about 1/2 teaspoon. If you don't have those things, don't worry about it. Roll with cucumber, avocado and radish sprouts (optional). This recipe would make about 4 rolls (about 6 pieces per roll). In a restaurant, one of these rolls would be anywhere between $6-$8. It's much cheaper to make at home. Add steamed rice and instant miso soup and it's sushi date night on a budget...