Surplus auctions

Help Support CattleToday:

Dusty Britches

Reaction score
I watch auctions real carefully for things I could use on the farm. The other day I won the bid in an online auction for 2 chainlink rolling gates - one was 10 foot and the other was 18 foot.

I cut off the wheels, added 2 inch angle iron to cap the chainlink, then welded a 2 links 3 feet from the center to add a drag chain to.

The smaller gate we'll put 2 tires on and drag the pastures with the ATV where we can't get the tractor. The larger gate was made with pipe and very heavy and we'll use it with the tractor in the open fields.

The 2 inch angle iron cost more than the 2 gates. Total cost for me - $95 (including gas to fetch the gates).

I saved the wheels and brackets and I'm thinking I need to make something useful with those too.

I've bought a lot of stuff off the internet surplus auctions. Best one yet was a Bush Hog 2615 batwing for $900 and change. A little rough around the edges, but got $2500 for it the next week.

cfpinz

cfpinz":hfhvla42 said:
I've bought a lot of stuff off the internet surplus auctions. Best one yet was a Bush Hog 2615 batwing for $900 and change. A little rough around the edges, but got $2500 for it the next week.

cfpinz

After paying the $2000 fuel bill to go get it how much profit was there.

dun

dun":a3znei9k said:
cfpinz":a3znei9k said:

cfpinz

After paying the $2000 fuel bill to go get it how much profit was there.

dun

It was instate, about 350 miles round trip. My truck does a little better than .4375 mpg, specially if you're pushing it. :lol:

cfpinz

Fred":1q0tt6sw said:
http://www.govdeals.com/eas/index.cfm I check this site sometimes, haven't bought anything.

Don't go giving out all my secrets.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2exlicdp said:
Fred":2exlicdp said:
http://www.govdeals.com/eas/index.cfm I check this site sometimes, haven't bought anything.

cfpinz
Iv'e never seen anything from Louisiana. Lots of stuff from Tennessee. They must be confiscating a lot of vehicles up there.

Fred":3f76di38 said:
cfpinz":3f76di38 said:
Fred":3f76di38 said:

cfpinz
Iv'e never seen anything from Louisiana. Lots of stuff from Tennessee. They must be confiscating a lot of vehicles up there.

If you look long enough you'll find some things close to home once in a while. I bought a 12' Apache self-feeder (one of the big ones, about 8' tall) that was an hour from home. Needs some floor work but it cost me a whopping $25. If things are close, you can pick up some deals because of shipping concerns.

cfpinz

Just purchased a TD9 dozer with a seperate blade and a seperate rake for $4500. They said I could have another one just like it if I would haul it off. I did. Will use for parts if necessary. Has a new motor, no oil leaks, good pins and bushings and more years than hours. Replaced two glow plugs and jumped it off and it runs like a charm. Already had 3 offers for it. Figure I can work it a month I'm in the clear.

novatech - have you ever bought anything from either of those sites? I was lookin ga t a few that said "Mutilation not a condition of this sale" What the heck does that mean?

sidney411":25nzp7ip said:
novatech - have you ever bought anything from either of those sites? I was lookin ga t a few that said "Mutilation not a condition of this sale" What the heck does that mean?

Yep. Bought from both. GSA is a little better as they charge no commision. Never saw "Mutilation not a condition of this sale" before. Maybe it's something new. It' been over a year since I've bought anything.

sidney411":2tmzyijd said:

Some military equipment is sold with a condition that the buyer has to do something to make it unuseable as military equipment within a certain time period of the purchase. Usually requires it being cut into a specific number of pieces.

That may be true but I have never had that happen. I have bought several machines, autos, etc.
I would think they would do that with rocket launchers and things of that nature. They would also say something in the auction listing.

sidney411":1ext8emr said:
Why buy something you had to tear up into pieces? :?:

I don't understand your question. I have never bought anything that I was required to tear up. And I am not interested in buying anything that would require me to do so. There may be some people that buy these items for metal salvage value, or salvage parts value.

We used to by computers and monitors by the pallet and strip them down for the precious metals

dun":ieefpgem said:
We used to by computers and monitors by the pallet and strip them down for the precious metals

My home computer came from a state surplus auction. It's like me, a little slow.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2vrcfwek said:
dun":2vrcfwek said:

My home computer came from a state surplus auction. It's like me, a little slow.

cfpinz
a little slow?

Latest posts