Supplements for barrel horses

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Girl

Reaction score
I was wondering what kind of supplements would be good to give barrel horses?

I have an 8 y/o QH who I compete in jackpots, Little Britches, and CJRA rodeos with. During the summer, she gets ridden everyday. About two days a week we work her around the barrels. We also work her around the poles too. We have a rodeo about every weekend too, with jackpots in between. What kind of supplements would be good for her?

My other horse is a 3 y/o QH (she'll turn 4 in March). She is broke but I haven't started her on barrels or poles yet. She will be started this summer. What kind of supplements should I give her as well?

-Angus Girl

The first thing I would start with is a quality feed. If you can read your feed tag and it says grain byproducts, soy byproducts..etc. then I personally would switch to feed that has the same thing in it bag after bag. There are feed companies that buy whatever filler is cheapest that week. Look for a tag that list everything and not some byproduct. Look at a strategy tag.

Angus Cattle Girl":1m0m9wmz said:
I was wondering what kind of supplements would be good to give barrel horses?

I have an 8 y/o QH who I compete in jackpots, Little Britches, and CJRA rodeos with. During the summer, she gets ridden everyday. About two days a week we work her around the barrels. We also work her around the poles too. We have a rodeo about every weekend too, with jackpots in between. What kind of supplements would be good for her?

My other horse is a 3 y/o QH (she'll turn 4 in March). She is broke but I haven't started her on barrels or poles yet. She will be started this summer. What kind of supplements should I give her as well?

-Angus Girl

I agree Good feed and hay is the best "Suppliment"

It depends on what you're wanting to suppliment for..To suppliment just to suppliment usually isn't a good enough reason for me to chuck down that money. My horse has to need something.

Their are energy suppliments, joint suppliments, coat suppliments, paint suppliments.

I don't do the vitamin suppliments. My feeding program gives my horses everything they need..it's cheaper in the long run IMO

Alright. Thanks for your input guys. I just didn't know if I should put them on any joint supplements or anything since one horse is fairly young and the other is in fairly heavy competition. But I agree, why waste money on something your horse doesn't need. Thanks again.
-Angus Girl

not sure if it would do anything for ya but i have a 10 y/o barrel mare a 4 y/o barrel gelding and a 9 y/o barrel gelding the 9 y/o qh is an ex track racer and i have all of them on calf manna i mix it with there feed every feeding i would tell you to feed them seminole feeds thats what i feed and it would give them everything they ever needed and its really cheap but they only make and sell it in florida but i keep all my brood mares and rodeo horses on calf manna and it does everything for them joint and all my rodeo schedule looks about like yours im working on a full rodeo scholarship and this keeps my horses goin good

CowpokeJ":25elaovw said:
The first thing I would start with is a quality feed. If you can read your feed tag and it says grain byproducts, soy byproducts..etc. then I personally would switch to feed that has the same thing in it bag after bag. There are feed companies that buy whatever filler is cheapest that week. Look for a tag that list everything and not some byproduct. Look at a strategy tag.
The biggest majority of products will have collective terms on their tags. That doesn't mean the manufacturer is "least-costing". In fact, if a formula's ingredients are totally locked in and don't change, then the nutrition is most likely changing, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. That's because the ingredients themselves will fluctuate in their nutrient specs, due to origin, the efficiency of the processing, etc. The best, most consistent product comes from formulating to achieve consistent nutrition, rather than merely locking in the ingredients.

rk":2hiy98zi said:
CowpokeJ":2hiy98zi said:
The biggest majority of products will have collective terms on their tags. That doesn't mean the manufacturer is "least-costing". In fact, if a formula's ingredients are totally locked in and don't change, then the nutrition is most likely changing, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. That's because the ingredients themselves will fluctuate in their nutrient specs, due to origin, the efficiency of the processing, etc. The best, most consistent product comes from formulating to achieve consistent nutrition, rather than merely locking in the ingredients.
How many horses are you feeding? I'll put TDI up against any of those formulating feeds.

One thing you might want to do is to make sure you are feeding them a good quality hay. And i would reccomend feeding them a couple of flakes of hay in the morning and evening. And if you are doing alot of work (training, competing on them ) give them a good grain mix of some type (crimped corn, oats, alphaha pellets, maybe a little molases) and keep a good mineral block out for them. Alot of horse owners over look keeping minerals out for their horses. I am going to look into using bag minerals rather than a minerl block myself. And we (my wife and i ) buy our horse feed in the bulk at the feed mill so we have them add minerals to their feed certain times of the year usually in the Spring.

In the hot summer time you might want to add electrolytes to their water. Never grain a horse with in 6 hours before you are going to work it or compete on it. It could colic on you.

CowpokeJ":23wrkb7v said:
rk":23wrkb7v said:
CowpokeJ":23wrkb7v said:
How many horses are you feeding? I'll put TDI up against any of those formulating feeds.
TDI is good, but not the only one that's good. Doesn't matter how many horses I'm feeding, that doesn't change the facts about tag nomenclature and feed ingredient variability.

So, are you telling me you've had experience feeding Omolene 200, Strategy, Nutrena Compete....against tdi? I've fed two more different brands of fixed formula feed and yield alot better results, almost two to one over least cost fillers. Why don't you google fixed formula feeds and read some of that.

Latest posts