Super Duty or what?

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Does dodge or cevy make a truck that is the equivilent of the F250 Super Duty Diesel? If so, what are they?

dun

shorty":1m7lsfz6 said:
I don't think anybody makes a truck that's equivalent to a Ford

Kind of funny, but the chevy dealer said the same thing.

dun

It's really hard to argue against going with Ford in my opinion. In Texas, most diesel commerical/fleet trucks are Ford F250/350. Ford has a great diesel and with that many buyers, any major problems would be known.

Not saying that all brands don't have some problems, but if you are looking for a long lasting hard towing diesel, you better give the Dodge Cummins a look. The big 3 usually keep it pretty close on the HP an TQ competition, but neither Ford nor Chevy can claim to have the longevity of the Cummins. I think the average overhaul on a Cummins usually runs at about 300,000 miles. Granted, the Dodge doesn't seem to have as good of an auto tranny as the others, and they are not quite as "comfortable" as some would like. But I say if you want a car like ride, buy a caddy. If you want a working truck, buy a cummins.

Plus, you just can't beat the sound of a straightpiped Cummins. :lol:

I had a 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 6 speed and was very pleased with it. Sold it to my brother who loves it also.

Now I have a 2005, 1 ton, 4x4, 6 speed and I love it even more than my old one. I have driven my buddies' Fords, and they are OK, but I wouldn't say they are built any heavier, or drive any better, and they definately don't pull any better than either of my Dodges have.

All that being said, I have no affiliation with Dodge or Cummins, I promise. :D

If you are seriously looking at a Dodge, PM me, I can set you up with a guy in St Louis who will sell you one down the line

How does the doge front end hold up? I've looked at 3 of them that had between 75k and 100k on them and the front ends were totally shot. To the tune of almost agrand to get them fixed. I've never had a Ford cost more then 5-6 hundred to fix.

dun

I think they have redesigned the front ends on the 05's. I know the 01 I had went about 70,000 before I had to replace the trac bar because the steering was getting sloppy. It was about $300. Other than that, no problems. That was 4 yrs of driving at least 5 miles of gravel road every day. A buddy of mine replaced the ball joints on his 99 Ford last weekend, but I don't know what it cost. He lives down the same gravel road and I think has around 90,000 on his truck.

It doesn't matter too much which brand you get. They all have their inherent problems. Although I think the bad injector thing on the Chevy Duramax's might be the most costly. Warranty cover them till 100,000 miles, but look out after that, those injectors are expensive!!!

El_Putzo":3kw1el06 said:
Not saying that all brands don't have some problems, but if you are looking for a long lasting hard towing diesel, you better give the Dodge Cummins a look. The big 3 usually keep it pretty close on the HP an TQ competition, but neither Ford nor Chevy can claim to have the longevity of the Cummins. I think the average overhaul on a Cummins usually runs at about 300,000 miles. Granted, the Dodge doesn't seem to have as good of an auto tranny as the others, and they are not quite as "comfortable" as some would like. But I say if you want a car like ride, buy a caddy. If you want a working truck, buy a cummins.

Plus, you just can't beat the sound of a straightpiped Cummins. :lol:

I had a 2001 3/4 ton 4x4 6 speed and was very pleased with it. Sold it to my brother who loves it also.

Now I have a 2005, 1 ton, 4x4, 6 speed and I love it even more than my old one. I have driven my buddies' Fords, and they are OK, but I wouldn't say they are built any heavier, or drive any better, and they definately don't pull any better than either of my Dodges have.

All that being said, I have no affiliation with Dodge or Cummins, I promise. :D

If you are seriously looking at a Dodge, PM me, I can set you up with a guy in St Louis who will sell you one down the line

the ole black truck (f-250 diesel) still runs at probably 500,000 plus....

While my significant other was doing a dozer job down near Mexico, I traded his F250 in on a Toyota Tundra. Thought he would DIE when he came back.. but he's been driving the Toyota for three weeks now, and he really, really likes it. VERY strong truck, rides like a caddy, a lot of really nice features, and a great reputation.

With diesel fuel $2.19 at the pumps today, we don't need two big trucks. I've got the 2004 Dodge for pulling the trailers, and the VW Beetle for trips into town.

I've already got a micro beater. A 94 ranger 4x4 with 187k miles on it. The standard F250 just doesn't do a real great job when pulling a heavy trailer. The dairy 24 ft gooseneck just sucks the life out of it. Does ok with a 14 ft bumper pull for only hauling a couple of cows, but I need (want) a more serious truck. I must be getting hard up (or anxious) if I'm even asking about chevys or dodges.

dun

Dad's F250 ( I think '99) diesel pulls up stumps. He's old 460 ci F250 doesn't hold a candle to it. The oil cooler is located to low on the drivers front (2 wheel drive). Front tires may wear better than his '89.

I like Chevy. Got a '02 4X4 6.0 L gas hog with a 4:11 rear. I still have to pull off the 4020 when it won't crank in the wetter parts of winter.

Each has it's place.

If your looking for a brand new truck, then definately go with the Ford. the 05s are just blowing away the competition. The F-250s sit on an F-450 frame, so you cant get a pickup built any tougher, and they have a long list of new features that blow away the competition, new heavy duty transmission, TowCommand (package with trailer brake control, and lots of features that help towing) and lots more stuff. Plus they did like they did to the F-150 and made the ride 10x smoother. Seriously though, Ford should definately be a top priority. Several people I know (including my dad) would never have considered a Ford, and when I convinced them to test one, bought it immediately. Now they wouldnt consider anything else.

TxCoUnTrYbOy":tfo6iwpk said:
Several people I know (including my dad) would never have considered a Ford, and when I convinced them to test one, bought it immediately. Now they wouldnt consider anything else.

Never seen it that easy.

They aren't near as comfortable as a Chevy. Not sure about the new Ford diesel ... hasn't been out long enough.

Howdy,

I too was in the market for a bigger tow rig and looked over all the options. I was really leaning towards a Ford Super Duty F-550. But with where the price tage was heading and the pulling stats, I went looking into the used medium truck market. I bought a 2001 Freightliner FL60. It had only 68k miles on it, and was really setup well from the factory when it was ordered.
Cat 3126b 275hp fuller 6-speed extended cab air brakes, air ride,with a aluminum bed setup for gooseneck work. :) pulling a 32ft dual tandem trailer with 25,000 of hay with ease. ;)
The pulling stats for the Ford F series was the best out there for a truck. But the medium duty trucks have so much more pulling power. That's what made the decision easy.
WebFL60.jpg

Dun, I've always been a Ford Man, BUT I'm driving my first Dodge 3500, w/duals,4x4 and Flatbed. I absolutely love it!The wife has had 3 Durango's and we've never had a lick of trouble w/them... This truck pulls like a locomotive, and handles great.I'm always pulling a gooseneck stock trailer, or a gooseneck loaded with hay or anything else, I have 0 complaints.Just thought I'd try something different. And did'nt find a good comparison to the Dodge in price either.Dodge 4x4's are like flies in this country.

dun":1nd5q7e5 said:
Does dodge or cevy make a truck that is the equivilent of the F250 Super Duty Diesel? If so, what are they?

dun

I don't understand this question. Of course they do. GM has the 2500HD and the 3500 SRW depending on whether you want a 9200 GVW or a 9900 GVW. The GM has more horsepower, more torque, and the reputation of an Allison Transmission. If you want a 6 speed, they use the same ZF-6 that Ford uses.

Dodge also makes trucks that will do anything the Ford will.

Sounds like your dealer needs to fire one of their salesman.

As far as the post that the F-250 is on an F-450 frame - I guess now if guys brag about their F-450, we can say they've just got a F-250 with big tires since there's no difference. As far as that, Chevy and GMC have had a thicker frame since 2001. Guess Ford is finally catching up. :D

Subsoil":1v19v6tg said:
As far as the post that the F-250 is on an F-450 frame - I guess now if guys brag about their F-450, we can say they've just got a F-250 with big tires since there's no difference. As far as that, Chevy and GMC have had a thicker frame since 2001. Guess Ford is finally catching up. :D

I'm a member on a diesel board also, and I always have to chuckle when I hear Ford people make the frame comment. It's just as you said. Also, how many frames actually get bent or broke in normal everyday use??? I'm guessing very few, so is that really a selling point or just a "mine's bigger than your's" ploy by Ford? It's really kind of comical to me.

A stiffer frame affects a number of things, including noise levels and fit and finish. Ever watched a truck cross uneven ground? Look at the bed and cab. The stiffer the frame, the less the flex and the adverse effects of the flex.