Suggestions for winter grazing?.?.?

Help Support CattleToday:

SSS Angus

Reaction score
We will be planting 50-60ac. for winter grazing and were currently considering wheat/oats. The area being cultivated is about 20ac. of real good sandy loam and another 40ac. in bottom land (black dirt.) We are located in North Central Texas and will be able to plant with either a spreader or a drill. Any suggestions other than wheat/oats? Also any pro's/con's to wheat over oats or vise versa? Also, whatever we plant we would like to be able to pull the cattle off of it later winter/early spring and make a cutting for hay off of it.

SSS Angus":2f58khq1 said:
We will be planting 50-60ac. for winter grazing and were currently considering wheat/oats. The area being cultivated is about 20ac. of real good sandy loam and another 40ac. in bottom land (black dirt.) We are located in North Central Texas and will be able to plant with either a spreader or a drill. Any suggestions other than wheat/oats? Also any pro's/con's to wheat over oats or vise versa? Also, whatever we plant we would like to be able to pull the cattle off of it later winter/early spring and make a cutting for hay off of it.
id just plant wheat.oats will freeze out easy.an if they freeze out you wont have anything to graze.

SSS Angus":10imm4hm said:
we planted oats last year and had good success with it, how cold does it need to get for what period of tim to effect oats?
if it gets below 30 for a few days the oats are most likely frozeout.

Rye is common here. Cows don't like it as much as oats but oats are iffy at best. Wheat is used some but we have some disease problems.

you could gaze till march.an then pull the cows off.an let the wheat grow 45 days or so.an then bale it the 1st of may.

bigbull338":ipylmy3s said:
SSS Angus":ipylmy3s said:
id just plant wheat.oats will freeze out easy.an if they freeze out you wont have anything to graze.

Its always interesting how different areas require different approaches. I don't know anyone who would even consider wheat as winter pasture. Over here its either oats or rhye and persian clover, or a combination of the three.

Not an hours drive away its mostly medics, winter alfalfa and oats. Tow hours north and its vetch, oats or medics.

SSS Angus":2c3516m9 said:
S&S Farms":2c3516m9 said:
wheat rye or triticale should work. my first question graze out completely or harvest any grain? Then wheat.

Jeff
We would graze out completely.

I would look at triticale then you can graze it out or pull off and let it go to dough stage and bale 3 to 5 tons per acre.

Jeff

I'm going plant cereal rye/crimson red clover in one pasture, rye grass/crimson red cover in any other. This combination will get me deep into the spring. Careful where you plant the rye grass. It can turn into a nasty weed in the future. Don't plant it in your Bermuda hay pasture. I will plant an open pollinated corn next spring in the cereal rye field for grazing thru june.

Denton county is having there Hay show and Clinic Sept 18, 7:00 pm. at the fair grounds. Topic- "Supplemental Feeding and planting clovers". Hay show results after. You may want to see what they have to say.

S&S Farms":f29bwdkh said:
SSS Angus":f29bwdkh said:
S&S Farms":f29bwdkh said:
wheat rye or triticale should work. my first question graze out completely or harvest any grain? Then wheat.

Jeff
We would graze out completely.

I would look at triticale then you can graze it out or pull off and let it go to dough stage and bale 3 to 5 tons per acre.

Jeff

how does Triticale hold up over the winter?

Jon

Triticale should hold up fine for all of you down south. There's a few guys that graze it up here, until there is almost nothing left, then move off it and let it grow in the spring then bale it and plant sweet corn in the fields. It works pretty good I think.

Latest posts