Sucraseed

Help Support CattleToday:

Since no one's answering, it doesn't look like it. I haven't planted any but I like the looks of it. It may just be another "miracle" ripoff. I was thinking I just heard it was a high sugar ryegrass, but I think there are different blends, so I don't know what they might be.

It's a mixture of things, and the blends are different depending on which part of the country you are in. I think I am going to try it, I need to plant about 8 acres this fall with something.

Be sure to check the heat tolerance map on the sucraseed website. Not all areas of the southeast are suitable for sucraseed. I am also going to try some this fall if I can find the seed. The coop in my area says they are just getting info on sucraseed. I am in central IL and in zone 7 for the heat tolerance. That is the max heat zone for sucraseed. I am going to just do a couple of acres as a trial just to see how it works out.

How are you in zone 7? I'm in southern Tennessee and according to their map my county is at the border of 6b and 7a.

I like thelooks of the sucra seed, but I can't hardly find anyone around with it. I found one dealer in Tennessee. I've sent them an email since they didn't have it on their website, but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone here have the prices per bag?

I talked to the rep today and he didn't think it would survive the summer heat here in Georgia. He said I could do an overseed with the pasture sweetner for winter grazing. He recomended a tall fescue for this area. So after much searching I came up with Pennington Max-Q, it works quiet a bit better here than the Kentucky 31, calves gain a fair amount more weight in the university testing. Only problem is it's about $120 to $135 per acre in seed, ouch! That Sucraseed is pretty expensive too, I saw some of the pricing on the foodplot seed and it was around $100 an acre if I remember right.

Contact athens seed in GA www.athensseed.com

they sale a tall fescue called bronson that is 1/2 the price and has been doing just as good as Max Q on their farm.

Hi sugar ryegrasses are great if they persist in your area...(which is not a very big region) This region mostly is through Iowa, MO, Ill, IN, Ohio, KY, PA, NY MD,. if you are planting ryegrass in these states be prepared to overseed every 3 years or so. North and south of those states you are better off planting a mixture of other species because the ryegrass will only last 1-2 years.

You should call your extention agent and get their advice on what to plant.

brandonm_13":33me69d3 said:
How are you in zone 7? I'm in southern Tennessee and according to their map my county is at the border of 6b and 7a.

I like thelooks of the sucra seed, but I can't hardly find anyone around with it. I found one dealer in Tennessee. I've sent them an email since they didn't have it on their website, but haven't heard anything back. Does anyone here have the prices per bag?

They have 2 zone maps on sucraseed one usda cold tolerance which is what your 6b or 7a is from and another for heat tolerance which is how long the summers last in your area