stumbling

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
hey yall... i've been readin about just a girl's thouroughbred and her gettin used to the feel. one of yall mentioned stumbling. my guy is way taller than me and when we run, from time to time, he will stumble. this is on flat ground, pasture stuff, and i always watch where we're headed. rocks, holes, ya know, anything i need to keep him away from. his feet are good, he has good shoes always. i kinda assumed that maybe he is secretly lazy and just dudn't wanna do it. it scares the holy h//? outa me when he does it tho he never has actually taken me down. any thoughts on why he would do this and is it intentional. he never trips when he sees his bucket comin...thanks for your thoughts. mell in texas...

In my opinion it's one of two things. First either he is too young and is not use to carrying weight at a canter or run or two he is to use to it and is a bit lazy in where he is going. If he is lazy shake him up and do something unexpected.

Is he also TB?

Good luck
Alan

Sorry pretty basic answer I gave you, if he is long legged and over reaches his step you may want to ask your farrier to rocker his feet this may help him to pick up his feet quicker and not stumble as much. But check to see if he is over reaching much. In a trot or light jog his rear foot should be in the same foot print as his front foot made on the same side. Long legged horse will be in front a little bit but not much.

Alan

Hi Mell,

Listen to Alan, he knows his stuff. Can't hurt to ask your farrier to do an adjustment. We have our horses shod every 6 to 7 weeks.....just depends. The TB has not stumbled with me.....yet.

It is scary when your horse stumbles. My horse stumbled running towards a closed gate while we were doing a drill, he hit a sink spot in the arena. :shock: I lifted his reins slightly to help him get his head up and clued him to the left....he never missed a beat. After we came to stop in a line up, he turned to look back at me and nodded. I think he was proud of himself, to tell you truth so was I. ;-) He's a good horse.

We have worked with a lazy horse teaching him to pick his feet up. He would stumble walking through grass. :roll:
We placed landscape lumber on the ground, about 3 or 4 feet apart and walked him over them....we did this several times with him.....no problem with picking up the feet anymore.

I think I said somewhere that I have never stumbled, that is not true....I have a few times, just been lucky not to go down.

Just be careful Mell..... :D

There is a way to tell if he is over-reaching by looking/checking his front feet. My farrier told me when I had problems with a horse stumbling a few years back. I just cannot remember for the life of me what it was. :oops: :oops: If someone else knows, please help me out here - otherwise I will ask my farrier and post it as soon as I can find out.

As a graduate of Oklahoma Horseshoing School Ill give you my thoughts. You mentioned you keep shoes on all the time but there a difference in having shoes on and being shod right. He may need to be stood up on his toes more. The average angle is around 53-55 degrees depending on the horse. Ive seen lots of shoers take way too much off the heels and leave em long in the toes. That will often cause stumbling.

I had a horse that tripped a lot. I don't know to this day why he did it but I thought I would fix him of it. This was way back in my teen years. I decided to whack him everytime he tripped. Teach him that it was a bad thing to do, and that he would be immediately punished for it.

Well after several weeks of reprimand, I got a horse that still tripped and stumbled but instead of recovering and just going on; he would trip, then throw up his head and make a leap in preparation for the whack that was sure come. I suceeded in teaching him to fear his own trips.

He never got over tripping but eventually got over the fear of being whacked after wards. He was just a clumsy horse.

hi yall. thanks for all the input...i will definately talk to my farrier about what yall said. and yes, alan, he does have some tb in him. makes a difference?? it is his front foot that trips and i swear it feels like he's just ploddin along. not ever long in the toe. let yall know...mell

My wife has a TB gelding who will trip on the front also ever once in a while. He does it when she is just Plodding along also. Long legs and a wondering mind I guess. When she gets his mind on what he is suppose to be doing he moves very nice and steps out very well. But he's not much good for the mindless trail rides.

Alan

[email protected]":3irxx21e said:
hey yall... i've been readin about just a girl's thouroughbred and her gettin used to the feel. one of yall mentioned stumbling. my guy is way taller than me and when we run, from time to time, he will stumble. this is on flat ground, pasture stuff, and i always watch where we're headed. rocks, holes, ya know, anything i need to keep him away from. his feet are good, he has good shoes always. i kinda assumed that maybe he is secretly lazy and just dudn't wanna do it. it scares the holy h//? outa me when he does it tho he never has actually taken me down. any thoughts on why he would do this and is it intentional. he never trips when he sees his bucket comin...thanks for your thoughts. mell in texas...

My ol TB "Nick" was the same way he scared the holy peepee putta me couple times. His feet were in good shape he just didn't pay attention I think. Really to tell you the truth I had to center my self with the horse normally the horse will center with the rider to carry the load but he was old and kind tard. Its hard to explain but try to center your self with the horse if he is older that is if he is a young horse send him to a trainer. Nick was old and I didn't want to go through that time consuming process of teaching him to center. Like I said I just centered my self with the horse and that took care of the problem 75 percent. Once you get on the horse you might catch my drift on what I mean about centering your weight with the horses back neck and hind quarters. I didn't think it would work when I first started but I got used to it. Once I centered my self with him you could see his neck back and hind quarters loosen up and was more suitable to him and he carried me better. Its a little okward (sp) at first but you will get used to it. I hope this helps LOL I didnt really explain much but anyhowway I wish you luck.

J&T Farm":9q7crqgy said:
As a graduate of Oklahoma Horseshoing School Ill give you my thoughts. You mentioned you keep shoes on all the time but there a difference in having shoes on and being shod right. He may need to be stood up on his toes more. The average angle is around 53-55 degrees depending on the horse. Ive seen lots of shoers take way too much off the heels and leave em long in the toes. That will often cause stumbling.

I agree with raising him up on his toes, but have a quick question.

Would rolling the toes help with a faster breakover causing the horse to move its legs faster?

J":1e3czje2 said:
J&T Farm":1e3czje2 said:

I agree with raising him up on his toes, but have a quick question.

Would rolling the toes help with a faster breakover causing the horse to move its legs faster?

It sure would. Stand him up and roll the toes and see what happens.

Latest posts