Strip Grazing. What's your technique?

Help Support CattleToday:

Smallpotatoes

Reaction score
I've decided to strip graze my stockpiled fescue this fall. Being my first time with the daily moves, I'm not very confident that I'm fully utilizing my stand. For those of you that have strip grazed what do you base your movements on? Being fall, is your goal to take it to the ground or leave 4-5 inches? I feel like I'm leaving a lot of grass behind (6-8 inches in several places). I'm thinking I need to move my fence half as far next tomorrow and she how that's grazed vs trampled. How do you do it?

I'm not sure the fescue has reached its full sweetness yet, I don't think it happens all at once, but gradually the sugar content gets higher therefore more palatable. I think its ok to leave some at this point, basically they are just eating the top off of it right now or that's the way mine are doing....so if we keep having mild weather, its going to regrow some. When it starts getting colder they will start eating it down closer.
So, I wouldn't worry about them leaving a few inches of it , you can always come back to it in a month or so.

Banjo":2nap62bs said:
I'm not sure the fescue has reached its full sweetness yet, I don't think it happens all at once, but gradually the sugar content gets higher therefore more palatable. I think its ok to leave some at this point, basically they are just eating the top off of it right now or that's the way mine are doing....so if we keep having mild weather, its going to regrow some. When it starts getting colder they will start eating it down closer.
So, I wouldn't worry about them leaving a few inches of it , you can always come back to it in a month or so.
I agree its too early here. I'm looking at Jan 1 to start. By then the amount you leave is not as much of an issue because it has pretty well became dormant and I only forward fence. Anything left behind they can still get. Best utilization is the smallest acreage you can get by with but for me with work about 4 days is the best I can do.

I second what Kenny Thomas and Banjo said. I would make the next strip smaller and they will eventually go back and nibble down the grass they trampled as long as you are not using a back fence.

I have read up on strip grazing annual rye and the recommendation is to not leave them on it for more than 3 days as the plant uses the energy stored in the roots for the early regrowth until the new leaf area can photosynthesize and replenesh the reserves. If the new leaf gets grazed then it will retard the plant. I think the same principal would apply to most grasses.

Ken

wbvs58":n0b399v5 said:
I have read up on strip grazing annual rye and the recommendation is to not leave them on it for more than 3 days as the plant uses the energy stored in the roots for the early regrowth until the new leaf area can photosynthesize and replenesh the reserves. If the new leaf gets grazed then it will retard the plant. I think the same principal would apply to most grasses.

Ken
You are correct Ken, however once the grass goes dormant it is ok to graze it lower.

Here right now I move them every day as they are grazing thru 10 to 12 inches of snow. Once they move the snow it freezes over night and they need new ground for the next day. So I am leaving more than I want, but also need to keep their condition good.