Stray Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
There aren't too many things that make me madder than stray dogs. The lady we bought our house from would feed stray dogs so the first year we lived here we had a heck of a time with them coming around. Our two dogs don't care for other dogs, unless they are introduced with both dogs being on leashes. It doesn't matter how big or little the stray dog is it's go time for mine when they come around. In the state of Iowa it is legal to shoot a stray dog that doesn't have a collar on to help stop the spread of rabies. The bad thing is most collared strays are pets that irresponsible people let roam the countryside. I know some are dogs that are dropped off in the country and left to fend for themselves, which is really sad. If you can't take care of your dog take it to a shelter, don't drop it off in the country to either starve or get shot.

ArrowHBrand":hl6v1rz7 said:
There aren't too many things that make me madder than stray dogs. The lady we bought our house from would feed stray dogs so the first year we lived here we had a heck of a time with them coming around. Our two dogs don't care for other dogs, unless they are introduced with both dogs being on leashes. It doesn't matter how big or little the stray dog is it's go time for mine when they come around. In the state of Iowa it is legal to shoot a stray dog that doesn't have a collar on to help stop the spread of rabies. The bad thing is most collared strays are pets that irresponsible people let roam the countryside. I know some are dogs that are dropped off in the country and left to fend for themselves, which is really sad. If you can't take care of your dog take it to a shelter, don't drop it off in the country to either starve or get shot.

...or poisoned, or hit by a car, or tortured by sickos. People that dump animals are the scum of the earth. :mad:

Alice

We seem to be the dumping ground for strays. I just try to make sure that the wife doesn't feed them. If she does, they never leave. If she does not, they go to a neighbors house that does feed. :)

I leave them alone unless they are in the fence with my cows. Any dog other than my own are bullet magnets when they are around my calves.

I hate them, too. I lost about 40 chickens once in one stray dog attack. I wasn't home. One of the neighbors called and by then it looked like a chicken war zone. Naturally, they don't hunt for food but rather for the fun of it. I also lost a lamb like that. Most of them come from the trailer park near our place. I know i have shot them and they have limped home to die or whatever. I have yet to have a dog owner to confront me on it.

agree stray dogs are bullet bait.if dogs bother cattle they are bullet bait.an the neighbors know the fate of a dog that messes with cattle or poultry.

Never had the heart to wack a dog that wasn't doing harm...I know, I know.......foolish...but I got a GP Dog , and a donkey, and that seems to have worked itself out of late..............NOT to say that if I even suspected harm was done, or even coming along i wouldn't hesitate to bust a cap.............. :cboy:

As long as you follow the 3 S rules, usually nothing much is ever seen or heard afterward. :cboy:

I now have donkeys that hate dogs. Especially, it seems, mine! My jack will chase a dog all over the pasture. My littlest, Necodemus, has learned to chase the chickens and he's pretty funny to watch.

Latest posts