strange....

Help Support CattleToday:

frenchie

Reaction score
strange deal found 4 cows this week missing most of 1 ear and 2 with ripped ears.1 st thought was a dog .. but no sign of bite marks. Got to catching on something .Ideas

I have that problem when the weather is bad and they get to huddling in the scrub oak.

Well I see you are in Manitoba and is has been cold. Did they maybe freeze their ears earlier and just now have bumped the dead portion so it broke off or tore.One of my calves froze her ears last month and they just broke off now.That is all I can think of ,hope they are not show cows.

We have 4 or 5 head that lost some of their ears this winter too. Couple of cold windy days, and they must have spent the night on the outside edge of the herd. They look funny now, not at all like what they used to with full ears...

The cold would explain the ones missing most of the ear but not the ripped ears. Now I know why brisket tags are so popular up thar.

cfpinz

frenchie":136shsey said:
strange deal found 4 cows this week missing most of 1 ear and 2 with ripped ears.1 st thought was a dog .. but no sign of bite marks. Got to catching on something .Ideas
more than likely dogs thats the area that they bite down, on that and the nose. the dog bites down and holds it and the cow tears it out so thats why it looks like a tear... if you dont believe me i got a few testimonials in the pasture right now :p

ALACOWMAN":37r9o901 said:
frenchie":37r9o901 said:
more than likely dogs thats the area that they bite down, on that and the nose. the dog bites down and holds it and the cow tears it out so thats why it looks like a tear... if you dont believe me i got a few testimonials in the pasture right now :p

I believe ya..I dealt with the problem this morning, I treated it with lead therapy

single stray dogs are seldom a problem, but add a few mates and its a recipe for disaster, hope you treated all of the problems with lead capsules, works fast and effective and there seems to be a life long immunity form catching the same disease ;-)

Latest posts