Strange calving...........

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Had a heifer go into labor, half an hour later the feet popped out. An hour later no change but she wasn;t pushing much either. Started trying to find a calf jack and some one to help me bring her up to the chute to work. An hour and a half later located a calf jack, the vet had one to use. At 2 2/12 hours after the feet popped out I headed down to try to bring her up with help on the way. She laid down and 30 seconds later stood up. When i reached her the calf that she had passed in that 30 seconds was trying to get to it's feet with her licking it and knocking it over. Calf shows no signs of having a long delivery. Was up and around the pasture bothering the other calved the next morning, cow had been sucked on all 4 quarters. Good results but I don;t want to go through that kind of turmoil again. We're done calving for the year, she was the last holdout.

I still have one holdout, if she don't calve by the 9th, she is going to ruin my 60 day calving window goal :mad:

bball":9d9l7nym said:
I still have one holdout, if she don't calve by the 9th, she is going to ruin my 60 day calving window goal :mad:
All but the last 3 were in 26 days. Sure gets fretfull dragging out for another month.

Im waiting on my last heifer to calve right now. Tuesday afternoon she started licking her sides. I was a little worried about her anyhow so I got her up to the pens. Checked her every four hours since then and she is still licking are sides and kicking her belly but no signs of birth starting. What's the longest y'all have seen one do this before giving birth. I had one last year that I saw licking her sides on a sunday. On monday she wasn't doing it and it was Thursday before she had the calf. I figured the licking I seen on sunday was caused by the calf turning into position.

Deepsouth":11732s7e said:
Im waiting on my last heifer to calve right now. Tuesday afternoon she started licking her sides. I was a little worried about her anyhow so I got her up to the pens. Checked her every four hours since then and she is still licking are sides and kicking her belly but no signs of birth starting. What's the longest y'all have seen one do this before giving birth. I had one last year that I saw licking her sides on a sunday. On monday she wasn't doing it and it was Thursday before she had the calf. I figured the licking I seen on sunday was caused by the calf turning into position.
This heifer, I called her Miss Piggy, did that for almost 2 weeks off and on, mostly on.

I'm not used to the kicking - but had a heifer doing it last week. She was trying to p1ss a lot too, but just dribbling.. I gloved her and the feet were turned under a bit and as soon as I got them pointed outwards, she let loose. she pee'd for 3 minutes straight it seemed. Calf must have been pinching something off, and she was kicking at the discomfort. She was fine at 2 am and I noticed her kicking at 7am, righted the calf around 10am, and vet and I pulled the calf at noon (this was the bred yearling from the other thread)

dun":2ii5ej6y said:
Had a heifer go into labor, half an hour later the feet popped out. An hour later no change but she wasn;t pushing much either. Started trying to find a calf jack and some one to help me bring her up to the chute to work. An hour and a half later located a calf jack, the vet had one to use. At 2 2/12 hours after the feet popped out I headed down to try to bring her up with help on the way. She laid down and 30 seconds later stood up. When i reached her the calf that she had passed in that 30 seconds was trying to get to it's feet with her licking it and knocking it over. Calf shows no signs of having a long delivery. Was up and around the pasture bothering the other calved the next morning, cow had been sucked on all 4 quarters. Good results but I don;t want to go through that kind of turmoil again. We're done calving for the year, she was the last holdout.

That was strange. I have 3 that should calf within the next month. One should be with 2 weeks ... calving window means nothing to me so no worries there

dun":cw4ixo9q said:
Deepsouth":cw4ixo9q said:
This heifer, I called her Miss Piggy, did that for almost 2 weeks off and on, mostly on.

That will definitely wear on your nerves..constantly checking in on her, atleast I do on the heifers.. they make me crazy

Yeah bb, I don't usually do this. I check them in the morning before I go to work and again when I get home. This is a heifer and she's a month behind the rest. I had to pull one that's a bigger cow than she is so I was a little nervous anyway. I'm checking her at 10pm, 2am and 6am then when I get home. This afternoon shes not licking her sides. Maybe the calf has got into position. Her teats are full so it probably won't be long.

Deepsouth":zadvbrys said:
Yeah bb, I don't usually do this. I check them in the morning before I go to work and again when I get home. This is a heifer and she's a month behind the rest. I had to pull one that's a bigger cow than she is so I was a little nervous anyway. I'm checking her at 10pm, 2am and 6am then when I get home. This afternoon shes not licking her sides. Maybe the calf has got into position. Her teats are full so it probably won't be long.

For your sleeping pattern, I hope she calfs soon :D

bball":2fwx8q0k said:

Well how about a 67 day calving window..last one is calving right now. Finally!

I had an old cow that calved a couple days ago, things weren't progressing after an hour, I could see the nose and 2 hooves, but it looked a little odd.. brought her into the chute, and found that the calf had his legs over top of his head.. was working on flipping them under and she started pushing really hard, I just went with it and pulled a bit and he came out that way.. never seen that before!

Latest posts