Straight from the sale barn

Help Support CattleToday:

Pointer1160

Reaction score
What vaccines and antibiotics to give four to five month heifers bought at the sale barn. Quite a few folks will give a dose of LA-200 to calves straight out of the sale barn. Is LA 200 really what these calves need? What vaccines do you give? Should be some interesting answers here.

If they were mine they would receive a 7 way with Somnugen and a Bovishield Gold FP5 live vaccine. The feedlot we send cattle to also give Inforce intranasal. Top it off with a Draxxin to keep them alive until the vaccines have time to kick in.

Having said that, we just bought 36 heifers we plan to breed from another operation we have gotten females from before. They had been vaccinated twice before we got them, the last time a month before they went through the sale. We didn't touch them yet but they will be vaccinated when we do our own bunch sometime in the next 2 weeks. They have stayed healthy.

If you don't know any history or they are mixed from several owners, insurance through vaccination is cheap.

UltraBac 8, Inforce 3, Bovisheil Gold, Imovec plus, and Draxxin. I give LA200 to bigger cattle but smaller ones like a 4 or 5 month old heifer would get the Draxxin.

The Draxxin is a terrific drug. Would you give it to any age cattle from a sale barn?

Pointer1160 said:
The Draxxin is a terrific drug. Would you give it to any age cattle from a sale barn?

Not usually to older cattle but wish I had in a couple instances. Last fall we bought 6 little bred heifers from a group that were advertised as fully vaccinated. We brought them home and turned them in with our own without touching them. Checked 3 days later and things weren't good. 3 of them had pneumonia and two ended up aborting. We have traded enough cattle to know what naïve cattle act like and these sure hadn't seen any vaccinations.

Live and learn. The 4 that are left are sure nice.

I wouldn't load them up with too many needles right away. If they have never had any vaccinations, and you probably should treat them as such, the blackleg will override the respiratory making it ineffective. I'd put them in an easily accessable pen with good feed & water and let them settle in. I'd start with a respiratory vaccine first then in a week or so come back with the blackleg. Not saying my way is right but it's how I do it.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
I wouldn't load them up with too many needles right away. If they have never had any vaccinations, and you probably should treat them as such, the blackleg will override the respiratory making it ineffective. I'd put them in an easily accessable pen with good feed & water and let them settle in. I'd start with a respiratory vaccine first then in a week or so come back with the blackleg. Not saying my way is right but it's how I do it.
Where did you get the info that the blackleg will override the respiratory vaccine? I have never heard that mentioned before.

I only recently started and haven't found any. I started because supposedly a calf I raised tested positive in a backgrounding lot. I know of 5 people in my area that test. In 250 market sale calves they might find 1.

kenny thomas said:
Chocolate Cow2 said:
Where did you get the info that the blackleg will override the respiratory vaccine? I have never heard that mentioned before.

I guess the guys feeding tens of thousands of cattle must all have the wrong protocol. :roll:

No they don't have the wrong protocol. They have a different situation. I have more time to let newly arrived calves settle in. I have time to watch them. I don't have anyone on the time clock but myself so I can do things how I want. And I simply stated how I would do it.

Kenny-I will have to do some looking. It was just recently I read that the first time vaccinating calves, blackleg and respiratory should not be given at the same time as the clostridial will over ride the respiratory making it ineffective. This did not apply to an older animal with a known vaccination history.

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Kenny-I will have to do some looking. It was just recently I read that the first time vaccinating calves, blackleg and respiratory should not be given at the same time as the clostridial will over ride the respiratory making it ineffective. This did not apply to an older animal with a known vaccination history.
Thank you, I'm definitely not saying it's wrong but just had not heard of that before. Let us know.

Kenny. This is from my Zoeits rep:
Ah yes. So actually is some truth to that. Our immunological man Dr.Cortese stated this. So yes u did read that guessing maybe Drovers!?🤷🏽‍♂️ So it is complicated but in summary if the (young) calf did not get exposed to a Modified live vaccine by the dam or ever and is given both 7way clostridial 5way MLV, the antibodies from dams milk blocks many fractions of these vaccines. Now keep in mind on a (good) day only 70% of calves vaccinated have a response. And if the cow is vaccinated correctly that calf is already carrying many of the antigens the vaccine is carrying.So that is one way around it.
Next is using a different route like the vaccines in the nose. That's why Inforce 3 is something everyone is pretty high on right now.

I buy rough market calves mostly so I normally expect they nor the cow has had nothing. I'm betting 80% of the male calves in my area are sold as bulls so I'm doubting they have ever had any vaccination either. Thanks for the info but I doubt I chance how I do things.

Chocolate Cow2" So it is complicated but in summary if the (young) calf did not get exposed to a Modified live vaccine by the dam or ever and is given both 7way clostridial 5way MLV said:
Inforce 3 works well because ?

Chocolate Cow2 said:
Kenny. This is from my Zoeits rep:
Ah yes. So actually is some truth to that. Our immunological man Dr.Cortese stated this. So yes u did read that guessing maybe Drovers!?🤷🏽‍♂️ So it is complicated but in summary if the (young) calf did not get exposed to a Modified live vaccine by the dam or ever and is given both 7way clostridial 5way MLV, the antibodies from dams milk blocks many fractions of these vaccines. Now keep in mind on a (good) day only 70% of calves vaccinated have a response. And if the cow is vaccinated correctly that calf is already carrying many of the antigens the vaccine is carrying.So that is one way around it.
Next is using a different route like the vaccines in the nose. That's why Inforce 3 is something everyone is pretty high on right now.
Keep in mind that many vaccines say to use on calves over 3 months of age. That's because of the immunity from the dam when they are born.