Storing Round Bales

Help Support CattleToday:

lots of these around here for wrapping pnut hay

images

ddd75":2jrf2s3z said:
nobull82":2jrf2s3z said:
I thought about getting one of those 3pt bale wrappers that Leaves the ends open but not really sure about it or know anything about it but you may wanna look In to it.

yea i was thinking about one of these also... i've seen some nice ones at auction going for around 4k

you need 2 tractors to run one though.

Tube wrapper requires on tractor. It's powered by a small Honda engine. H&S makes the most popular model around here.

They might make a rain proof net wrap now I think I read

wow.. those things take some time to wrap the hay.. looks like you can do about 30 / bales per hour.. then you have to still move and store them.

I have a hay spinner to unroll hay.. i think it'd be cheaper and faster to have a farm hand follow me around with a thing of wrap and let me spin the bale and wrap it that way! hahaah

We bought a heavy duty greenhouse frame 100ft long.. got heavy tarp from a manufacture that made just that....hay tarps...put down a gravel pad.... we use 4x4 rounds....I can stack bales across in this "barn" first 2 rows -6 across, next 2 rows up 5 across and then two or three for the top row.... total barn holds about 350 round bales... this is the 6th season using this set-up.... outside storage for the extra hay is 100ft silage tarps held down with tires..... pain in the butt!

Something like 25% of a bale is in the first 6-8 inches, plus cattle can waste 20-30% out of a hay ring at times. So if you aren't careful with storing and feeding your hay you are losing 40-50% before it even makes it in the cows mouth. Imaging being able to get away with nearly half as much hay? Incredible savings for most farms in the long term.

Latest posts