Stockyard error

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Last week I took 12 heifers , that belonged to a friend to a stockyard close to my house. Pulled up in the unloading area and the guy asked me what I had and I loudly said 12 heifers. After putting stickers on the cattle , he handed me my reciept and I started to leave but not before double checking all the info on my receipt.
He had written 11 heifers on my ticket. What part of 12 sounds like eleven? I hope it was an honest mistake but I will always double check everything someone else rights down from now own concerning cattle I am recieving or dropping off.

I have always been lucky, but I check, buying or selling. Those people are human and subject to making mistakes. I've got the numbers wrong in my checkbook enough times through the years and can only blame myself.

Our place uses in-weights and I trust them but I always walk with my cattle to the scales. Doesn't matter if it's some old cows or some great calves, I always go with them. Better to be sure than to worry about it later.

I took one heifer to the sale three weeks ago. It was already dark when I arrived and they unloaded her. They took the information, handed me the ticket and the guy said it was late and he'd put her in a pen by herself and tag her in the morning.

When I got the check and info in the mail it said one steer sold. I looked back at my drop off ticket and he had wrote steer on it as well.

If I am shipping more than one or two I go watch the sale too. Too many errors for me to recount. And I wouldn't mind having the "brand inspector" job either - I can read AT LEAST as good as whoever gets ours wrong almost every time.