Stocker start up

Help Support CattleToday:

I take it they will ship out at the end of summer? Yeh they look like there is a lot of growth to be had in them. Your place looks as wet as my place at the moment which is unusual for me. What are the feed troughs? Are they something that has been repurposed? They look like canoes, look pretty good though.

Ken

They're propane tanks cut in half. Yes I'll ship them end of summer and buy another group in October when the grass runs out.

Just bought some bulls that weight myself. Did you buy them yourself?
No I used a buyer. My work has been pretty busy lately. They're a pretty calm group so I'm happy so far. They came from a couple small farms so I'm assuming their used to being around people.

I hope to put mine with these next week. I'll give them 2-3 weeks then work them. After that they'll go to a bigger place with some grass.

The buyer has been running stockers for a long time. He recommends penning them small at first until they settle then putting turning them out. I plan to build a smaller pen at the next place their going for the future. For now they get this small lot until then.

I asked them about soy hull pellets. Too high through the mill. Just kind of went with what was easy this time.

I can get truckloads of shp from the crusher cheaper than corn but don't have the storage or enough head to justify that yet but I'm working that way.

What do you plan to supplement them with this summer?
I could never figure out the profit in backgrounding calves between weaning and going to the feedlot. I mean... paying for seven hundred pounds of grain to get an extra one hundred pounds of gain just never penciled out for me. Paying more per pound for weaned calves than what you can get selling them at nine hundred or a thousand pounds. How do you make it work?

I bought a few black steers and 2 bull calves today weighed 433 and cost 181.45. Worked and put out on hay before dark. Will be put on mostly grass this summer

I bought a few black steers and 2 bull calves today weighed 433 and cost 181.45. Worked and put out on hay before dark. Will be put on mostly grass this summer
That info makes me feel good. These were a little over 1.80 for 409 avg. You know better than me what you're doing so I'm not far off.

That info makes me feel good. These were a little over 1.80 for 409 avg. You know better than me what you're doing so I'm not far off.
I'm not sure I know much but looks like we are close.
I actually was by your area yesterday but couldn't find a cattle sale.

Latest posts