Stock Trailer Trip

Help Support CattleToday:

Sure will. I wouldn't pack them in tight or make a lot of unneccessary stops, but they will be fine.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":2v7m6xhw said:
I open think that they would be okay. Is it an open top trailer or enclosed? As cold as it is here in tennessee I wouldnt haul them in an open topped one to far but a closed top trailer should be fine.
It is a standard stocker trailer, The front is enclosed and the sides are open, 14 feet long with a divider in the middle. Just right for two large cattle. Thats all I can pull with my little Ford F150 six cylinder.

Just please don't put them in a u-haul enclosed trailer.

Sorrry, I had to say it; a few weeks ago a genious had the idea of transporting some young calves, not even weaned, from Florida to South Carolina in a u-haul trailer. Wonder what happened. He!!, I know what happened, when they arrived they were dead.

I think cows can take a lot more weather than we give them credit for. Especially your british like herefords and angus.

ROCKSPRINGS":2x2fmuvo said:
It is a standard stocker trailer, The front is enclosed and the sides are open, 14 feet long with a divider in the middle. Just right for two large cattle. Thats all I can pull with my little Ford F150 six cylinder.

I just hauled ~4500lbs of cows and heifers (1 cow/calf and 3 heifers) in a 14 ft stock trailer like you're describing this past weekend with my little Ford F150 6cyl, and she did fine. Maybe a little slower going up hills, but got 'er done all the same. Its a standard transmission though, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 3 or 4 cows in there and use 'Ol Red to haul them. The weather was great too. Just right for hauling those furry backed Herefords. They didn't seem to care for the wind, but it did seem to make them want to keep their heads down and not move around too much and get that trailer to swinging.

TR":8nhitu5p said:
ROCKSPRINGS":8nhitu5p said:

I just hauled ~4500lbs of cows and heifers (1 cow/calf and 3 heifers) in a 14 ft stock trailer like you're describing this past weekend with my little Ford F150 6cyl, and she did fine. Maybe a little slower going up hills, but got 'er done all the same. Its a standard transmission though, but I wouldn't hesitate to put 3 or 4 cows in there and use 'Ol Red to haul them. The weather was great too. Just right for hauling those furry backed Herefords. They didn't seem to care for the wind, but it did seem to make them want to keep their heads down and not move around too much and get that trailer to swinging.
Thanks for the info. TR, My Ford is an automatic but I did get an extended warranty. :lol:

cypressfarms":3uajrasr said:
Just please don't put them in a u-haul enclosed trailer.

Sorrry, I had to say it; a few weeks ago a genious had the idea of transporting some young calves, not even weaned, from Florida to South Carolina in a u-haul trailer. Wonder what happened. He!!, I know what happened, when they arrived they were dead.

I think cows can take a lot more weather than we give them credit for. Especially your british like herefords and angus.
Just curious as to how you came up with that generalization

A 3 or four hour trip shouldn't be any problem at all. Had people look at me kind of funny though when I went through the McDonalds Drive-Thru with a 20' trailer full. Got to stop somewhere for lunch!