Stock tank floats

Help Support CattleToday:

Sugar Creek

Reaction score
I have a pond that feeds two concrete stock tanks, controled by floats that rise with water level and shut off water coming out of 3/4 inch galvanized standpipe. Over the years I have had some trouble with ice pushing up and breaking stem that holds float. This summer the cattle have learned that if they keep pushing - float, stem, or brass coupling will break and they get lots of cool water running everywhere. Repairing this is getting costly and the pond is getting low, never filled up last winter. It is terribly hot here like everywhere else it seems. Any ideas on a better float system. No matter how close I watch the tanks I still lose lots of water by the time I get it fixed.

Put some sort of contraption over/around the float mechanism.

dun

Nothin like a little common sense. I think the heat has gone to my brain. Does anyone else just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result, or is it just me?

Sugar Creek":2hrrs66k said:
Nothin like a little common sense. I think the heat has gone to my brain. Does anyone else just keep doing the same thing and hoping for a different result, or is it just me?

I think we are all guilty at times - easier than thinking up another approach. Having said that, insanity has been defined by many as doing the same thing & hoping for a different result. It happens in business & government, all the time - I've lived it first hand in corporate America.

Go ahead put something around it and then when you do need to repair it you'll have to tear that off to get to it. And you know it will happen, if it's strong enough to keep the cows from breaking it , it'll take time to take it off/apart to repair the float

What brand of floats are you using now? The reason I ask is that we also have stock tanks with floats - always have - and the ice isn't a problem unless the cows can flip it over (or someone gets too close to the float with the axe when breaking the ice! :lol: :lol: :lol: ). Nor have we had a problem with the cows breaking them. Maybe a heavier duty float might solve the problem?

Sugar Creek how much pressure is on the supply line? Is it pumped or gravity? If it is just gravity a ball in a basket might work. I drew a little picture to help you see what ima sayin.
come up from ur supply line and 90 back down the the height you want the water then screw on your basket and ball. when the water gets high enough the ball floats up and seals against the supply line. To make a basket i've used 4" pvc with caps on both ends cut slots in it with a saw or drill holes. I used a tennis ball as a stopper. Be sure to put the ball in before you glue the ends on.
basketballfloat.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I have a standpipe in the middle of a pond dug in 1972. Feeds two tanks through a iron pipe coming through the pond dam and running underground to the tanks. I took Dun's advise and built a cage out of old pieces of fence panel (lots of baling wire holds it down and together) and so far it is working. It really hurt to lose all the water when it is so dry. Since the baling wire will rust and break, I like the tennis ball in a pipe solution. How does hard freezing weather affect this type flow control?

Yes unless they were taking enough water it could freeze shut.
In the winter you might want to add a 1/4 fitting that you could open where it would run all the time it would be slower to refill but it would keep the supply pipe from freezing up?

Latest posts