stock tank deicers

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
I use a standard cast aluminum submersible tank deicer in my auto waterers. Seems like they only last a year before the cattle start getting some stray voltage through them. Am I doing something wrong or is that normal?

Stray voltage is a bear, it must be pretty bad for you to have noticed. I've never noticed a problem using a submersible tank heater.
Maybe I'm just not observant enough. Guess I would switch to a different brand. Since it's not used year round do you mean you have a problem the last month of the 1st year of use? or the next winter when you take it out of storage?

I can't feel the voltage at all. I notice the cows standing around the waterer hovering above it but not drinking until i unplug the heater then then go at it like they haven't drunk in a month. It can happen any time - just out of storage or end of season. I have a bad one now and can't find a replacement at all the local farm stores - sold out.

Try plugging it in throwugh one of thr GFI adapter deals. That should tell you when one goes bad.

Might sound stupid but is everything grounded? Are you the cords in good ccondition? I've used the same one for 3yrs hooked to a 100' 10ga drop cord in a 300gal plastic tank though. GFI is a good thing as well.

Latest posts