Stock dog Trainer

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
We are looking for a trainer in or near Kentucky, WE have a 4 month old Aussie Shepard looking to get some formal training for her. I know nothing about training a stock dog, I've broke bird dogs, beagles but never a dog that has that much untamed enthusiasm. She tries to herd the chickens so I'm hoping she has some herding instincts.

Billy Smothers in Henryville, IN or Ben Bowman in Sandborn, IN. I don't have Billy's number, but Ben's is 812-seven nine eight-eighteen thirty three

Do a google search in the Kentucky area. Call those with solid credentials (and decidedly not AKC breeders) who are familiar with working Australian Shepherds. 4 months is way too young to commence herding training. Don't overtax her wee, immature brain & body. While waiting for her to mature physically & mentally teach her elementary manners, e.g. sit/stay and especially, work on a solid off line recall in challenging circumstances. FWIW, I wouldn't allow her to interact with chickens(their behavior incites chase prey drive and can lead to a life long desire to kill them) nor any other livestock at this age. Do take take her leased while you're doing chores and above all, keep her out of harms way. Good luck with her!

We weren't looking to start training on stock just yet, trying to find a trainer. Thanks for the advice on the chickens I hadn't thought of the wanting to kill them deal, I have a pointer bird dog that will take care of that if they get too close to her pen.I will work on the recall thing, I've had to do that with the bird dogs I've broke so I have a good idea how to get that part done, Thanks again I need all the help I can get.

Latest posts