Still a beginner?

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC":1r5fdz05 said:
cypressfarms":1r5fdz05 said:
MikeC":1r5fdz05 said:
Might need him over here for some "OJT" training from time to time to work out the minor kinks ;-) ;-)

Don't do it 9 ER, it's a trap!!!

YOU stay outa this Cypress! Every cattleman needs to have put up a few square bales! The education and diploma wouldn't be complete without it. :lol:

Square bales? Oh that's fine.

The way Crowder spoke of you I thought it may be a little more intimate than that ;-)

9 er you cant raise cattle long enough to master it.i learn all the time.i spend some of my free time reading and researching on all my animals from the cattle to the chickens.i feel that i owe it to them since i have them fenced they look to me for everything.i wish i knew more than i do but i work on it everyday.i learn a lot from this site reading the others posts.just think in the early days there were few books to read,no computers and your knowledge of cattle and farming was gained buy listening to the older guys.thats what were doing here,listening to other cattlemen.

I don't think I will ever consider myself a cattle expert. No matter how many cattle a guy has, no matter how much calving/fencing/vaccinating/grazing/cussing/getting hurt/healing/buying/selling experience a guy has, there is still always a time when you go out to a lot of cows, stratch your head and go "Now how in the he?? did that happen?"

Happened to me today! :roll: :)

Hauling a few hundred bales of peanut hay a few summers in Texas should earn me an honorable mention at the least. My grandfather would drive the tractor and even though I didnt see him do it, I know he was laughing when he would speed it up just enough to make me have to almost run to pitch it on the trailer. Any of you guys remember the bloody forearms from the devil hay. Cows sure loved it, but god I hated it.

chiefgriz":mk4hu96y said:
Hauling a few hundred bales of peanut hay a few summers in Texas should earn me an honorable mention at the least. My grandfather would drive the tractor and even though I didnt see him do it, I know he was laughing when he would speed it up just enough to make me have to almost run to pitch it on the trailer. Any of you guys remember the bloody forearms from the devil hay. Cows sure loved it, but god I hated it.

He was laughing.

Try being in a grain silo at the end of a chute with your two older brothers shoveling corn down to you in the summer (Louisiana - can we say hot) No air, no light, just corn dust and coughing and laughing brothers.

chiefgriz":1mb43c37 said:

Wish I had about a 100 bales of peanut hay in the barn.

thats pretty much all we feed in the winter is peanut hay. we sometimes get a few bermudas and maybe have a few rolls of haylage. we put out 8 rolls of peanut hay a day.

Beefy":29wb3ci8 said:
thats pretty much all we feed in the winter is peanut hay. we sometimes get a few bermudas and maybe have a few rolls of haylage. we put out 8 rolls of peanut hay a day.

Guess I will show my rookie, greenhorn, Hobby farmer, Wannabee, colors. Never heard of peanut Hay! Do you put out Jelly tubs to go with it? :D

Aplusmnt,

You won't be needing any jelly to go with it. Straight up as is.

Peanut hay is the thing cows die for. When you are bringing it to the barn, they'll mug you. When you enter the pasture, don't worry about closing the gate behind you, just get to the barn and get inside and close yourself in there. Then slip out and go close the main entry. Don't be surprised to see a few bales in the pasture from where the cows ran up and drug off the trailer on the way in.

When peanuts are harvested, they lay the plants in windrows for baling. You'd better have one heck of a fence around the field or else the windrows will be gone. Deer come from miles away too.

The bales look like a bag of sticks and are full of sand, extremely heavy, and your forearms will bleed just as chiefgriz explained. After hauling several loads of that stuff, you'll thnk hauling all other hay is for sissies.

No one grows peanuts here anymore. If they did, I'd buy some hay. I wouldn't look forward to fighting the cows off though.

Just when I thought that I was moving up I slipped and busted my chin on a rung. I'm gonna need stitches. Wait a minute, real cattlemen dont get no dang stitches. I must be a cull now. The only thing left to do is put a bullet in me. What am I thinking? I'm not a real cattleman. I can get stitches and continue on living. Whew! That was close.

Dont think I'll have time to work for you guys stacking hay this summer. Been there done that. Too many camps to work.

Seriously though, thanks for the encouragement. I couldnt find where I read that either. I thought it was Scott and Jeanne-Simm who were having the discussion. Guess I was wrong. Wont be the last time. I cut it halfway. You think it fell out or went back up? Wasnt there yesterday.

For your sake, I hope it fell out. If it went back up, you'll have a nasty infection soon. Some may give "preventive" antibiotics at this point, but I wouldn't unless she showed abnormal signs.

JMHO

backhoeboogie":116pv1tz said:
Aplusmnt,

You won't be needing any jelly to go with it. Straight up as is.

Peanut hay is the thing cows die for. When you are bringing it to the barn, they'll mug you. When you enter the pasture, don't worry about closing the gate behind you, just get to the barn and get inside and close yourself in there. Then slip out and go close the main entry. Don't be surprised to see a few bales in the pasture from where the cows ran up and drug off the trailer on the way in.

When peanuts are harvested, they lay the plants in windrows for baling. You'd better have one heck of a fence around the field or else the windrows will be gone. Deer come from miles away too.

The bales look like a bag of sticks and are full of sand, extremely heavy, and your forearms will bleed just as chiefgriz explained. After hauling several loads of that stuff, you'll thnk hauling all other hay is for sissies.

No one grows peanuts here anymore. If they did, I'd buy some hay. I wouldn't look forward to fighting the cows off though.

Interesting! I can see all those calves over eating it and then going to get a drink of milk from mom, I got to have some milk with my peanut butter sandwich :D Thanks for the info!

One thing I forgot was the ducks. Billions of them in the field after the peanuts are gone and all that is left is the windrows. The fields are completely covered in ducks. When you drive up to the field, the sky will literally turn black.

backhoeboogie":1uul3wst said:
One thing I forgot was the ducks. Billions of them in the field after the peanuts are gone and all that is left is the windrows. The fields are completely covered in ducks. When you drive up to the field, the sky will literally turn black.

sounds like some good duck and deer hunting around these peanut farms

i remember those ducks. WHen they were circling the field, getting ready to land, looked like a twister (tornado).10x easier than shooting fish in a barrel. Theres a thought. Backhoe, check to see what it would cost to plant a few acres of peanuts. It would sure bring the deer in. Plow it up and put a few pounds of peanuts in the freezer. Cows could eat the leftovers.Field across the road sure use to make some good dry land peanuts.

it is true. the cows would die for some peanut hay. i have a few old cows on the rye and wheat right now and they keep mooing at me for some peanut hay. they have 200 acres of grazing but no, they want peanut hay. i suggested that we roll out two bermudas first (b/c its easy to roll out, i can do it by hand) so that the cows would go to it and get out of the way so we could feed them the peanut hay and they stick their noses up at the bermuda and swarm the peanut rolls. even the crappy rolls. they'll eat the bermuda later. peanut hay bales are back breakers. and they will cut you. good ones weigh about twice as much as a bale of bermuda. let me just tell you, it sucks hardcore to gather up peanut bales. the deer, geese, coons and doves all love peanut fields. but not as much as the wild hogs! we let the cows glean the fields after harvest and they dont leave behind any peanuts.

I wonder if there is something in peanut hay which is addictive for cattle. I have never heard of such a thing as peanut hay. I think it would be a little too expensive to ship up here.

Latest posts