Stifled

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Just in case you haven't seen what a stifled cow looks like. Old girl is 13 (almost 14). She was lagging but kept with the herd and I wanted her to raise her calf and "be a cow" for as long as possible. Not grinding her teeth or showing signs of pain. Finally shut her (and her calf) in a small section of the barn last weekend and will sell her next week after weaning. It happens. But she's been a great cow and I've kept her heifers, so her lineage carries on.IMG_20231015_081047417.jpg

I hate that when that happens.
Yeah, it sucks! And not a darn thing you can do - most of the time. I've given her Banamine Transdermal a few times if she seems to be really lagging, but that was also primarily in the summer when it was hot.

She's lost a ton of weight! Just a few years ago she was downright fat. Here's another "butt pic" (taken on a Creekstone tour). Baby had back!!!121999394_10219291051726411_6816163535585829071_o.jpg

There is a plant down in Greeley, CO that butchers a lot of dairy cows and they also take beef critters. When I have one that can't make it through the sale ring or is a risk of being a downer cow but can walk off the trailer and go 100' to the kill floor I take them there. They send a check based on carcass weight. Do you have anything like that within a reasonable distance?

There is a plant down in Greeley, CO that butchers a lot of dairy cows and they also take beef critters. When I have one that can't make it through the sale ring or is a risk of being a downer cow but can walk off the trailer and go 100' to the kill floor I take them there. They send a check based on carcass weight. Do you have anything like that within a reasonable distance?
Sounds like a great idea, but nothing like that around here - that I know of.

Looks to be issues with the hip there when you compare side to side, the point of the hip is lower on the right and swelling TC. The end result is the same.

Ken
I've wondered about that because it does seem to jut out. Possibly a result of the stifle from walking funny? Initially, when she started limping, I kept checking for foot rot because the swelling wasn't pronounced.

I've wondered about that because it does seem to jut out. Possibly a result of the stifle from walking funny? Initially, when she started limping, I kept checking for foot rot because the swelling wasn't pronounced.
Often things are hard to pinpoint at the time but with time, muscle wastage the swelling and scar tissue around the injured area can become more prominent and tell the story.

Ken

I've got two older cows in the same boat. I hate to run them through the sale barn but they are getting around well and I don't need any burger so I'll probably have to, like it or not.

I'm with you on making those old cows burger...just has a more rich beef taste, but if you don't need it what's the point

Like Ken, I too thought it looked more like a 'knocked-down' hip than a stifle injury (almost always an ACL (anterior cruciate ligament) rupture).

30-some years ago, we frequently sent clients with lame - or even broken-legged - animals to Tennessee Dressed Beef in Nashville. If they weren't running a fever and could walk off the trailer, they'd take them - and if they passed slaughter inspection, they'd issue a check; but if the animal didn't pass inspection, the producer got nothing.
Don't know that TDB is still in business.

We've had several old cows over the year that were slow or lame, that we didn't want to subject to the salebarn. We've donated them to the local Salvation Army soup kitchen as ground beef, taking a charitable donation on our taxes equal to the value of the meat and the processing fee.

Where do the slaughter cows go from your area? Most of the slaughterhouses will buy your cows on the rail if your close enough to make it worthwhile to haul them.
I don't know. There isn't anything close. I think the majority of them are in western KS. There are processors that aren't too far, but I don't want to deal with trying to sell the meat - especially from an old cow. And as @Lucky_P mentioned, there is the option of donating the meat, but right now it's easier to just load her, sell her, and call it good. That said, we always donate the venison through a local program (called FEED) if Mr. TC gets a buck. But we don't get a tax break on it.

I don't know. There isn't anything close. I think the majority of them are in western KS. There are processors that aren't too far, but I don't want to deal with trying to sell the meat - especially from an old cow. And as @Lucky_P mentioned, there is the option of donating the meat, but right now it's easier to just load her, sell her, and call it good. That said, we always donate the venison through a local program (called FEED) if Mr. TC gets a buck. But we don't get a tax break on it.
There is a custom processor here that can most likely get you in immediately.
They are not usda, custom only. So idk how that would affect things.
For some time now, I've been wanting to fill my families freezers. Was very thankful for their services.

Edited to add..
It's surprising how fast a truckload of burger will disappear. Only 20 people at 10lbs each makes a HUGE chunk disappear! And if you have any friends/coworkers it becomes a feeding frenzy. (Always check your local laws and what not!)

Tonight I'm having filet and ribeye from the ol gal. Trying real hard not to picture her with the hat on!!

I believe this young fella has been 'stifled'. Doesn't appear broken, doesn't put weight on it, seems like some swelling in the stifle area. He's lost a lot of condition, but he's eating and drinking good now. I'm hoping he heals to the point I can sell him for salvage. Of course I stand to be corrected on the diagnosis.

IMG_2817.jpeg

I believe this young fella has been 'stifled'. Doesn't appear broken, doesn't put weight on it, seems like some swelling in the stifle area. He's lost a lot of condition, but he's eating and drinking good now. I'm hoping he heals to the point I can sell him for salvage. Of course I stand to be corrected on the diagnosis.

View attachment 36752
Looks like it. I had to sell a beautiful 3 year old bull that stifled so I feel your pain.

I won't carry one with a broken leg, foot, hip, shoulder etc, to the sale. I am never un-armed, and as soon as I see it, I put it down. Just how I was raised. Not worth it to me to leave an animal suffering in pain for a few hundred dollars. If it isn't in the middle of the summer, I will load the carcass and carry it to one of many deer processors around. Most of the time I have it all ground, depending on whether you might could get some decent steaks or roasts. If it happens down at the south Ga place, we put it in Ms. Mattie's freezer. Sometimes some of it goes in Scott's for our stew at the dove shoot. I don't guess we have had but 3 or 4 in the 20 something years we have done the Kudzu- Corriente operation. Last one was 2 years ago when the poacher killed one. Up here, there is a church that feeds a ton of homeless people, and I will give it to them for their soup, chili, spaghetti, etc. If it is to where I can't get it processed, like too hot ,or just no processor I can get it to in time, I will bury it, or drag it to the boneyard if it is on a place we have one. That is just how I do. Not judging anyone that does carry them to the sale.

Fed a pasture Saturday and all the cows were fine. Went back today to pick up a bull and move him to a pasture with fall calving cows. One cow was off by herself. She wouldn't come up to the corral. She is severely stifled. A 3 y/o cow bred back. Got her to the corral and brought her to the house. Will watch her a few days and decide course of action. Think the other cows may of added to the issue. She was avoiding the water tank as that is where the others were. Brought one in 2 days ago with bad foot rot.

Latest posts